Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?

Article about: Hello, I have what I think is an unusual WW1 German camo helmet (BF64). I have seen various other camo helmets, but not with a camo pattern like this. All the black lines in the pattern go s

Default Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?

Hello, I have what I think is an unusual WW1 German camo helmet (BF64). I have seen various other camo helmets, but not with a camo pattern like this.

All the black lines in the pattern go straight up the side and are fairly evenly spaced apart creating 9 painted sections. The black lines all meet in the top center of the helmet so each of the 9 painted sections are sort of pie shaped.

Is there anything special or rare about this pattern or did the painter just like straight lines.

By the way internal retained is the steel band type.

Thanks any info is much appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?   Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?

Better and more photos of the camo would be best to evaluate. Ive seen a camo like this before that was a good one, very unusual.

Thanks for your response. I would be happy to post additional pictures. What would you like to see?

Here are some additional pictures.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?   Unusual WW 1 German Camo Helmet Pattern?  

I tried to get a close up, these may help.

Thanks for looking at these.

A great M17 helmet.....it looks to be untouched...The maker mark "BF 64" is "F.C. Bellinger" of Fulda, "64" being the size. (F.C. Bellinger made only sizes 62 and 64)....I would say this is IMO an original finish...these helmets were painted by the owners/wearers, so every one is going to be different...and a great slice of "artistic licence" was used by many ! it also depended on the terrain and make up of that terrain to what the soldier interprated in his rendition upon the helmet, Starting in July 1918 three colours were supplied, yellow ochre, rust brown and Green....regulations stated that they must be applied in patches, separated by a finger width black line, different sizes of black lines, some very thin, some extra large can be observed...paint can even be heavily applied to shell and sometimes sprinkled with sand, to matt the appearance ! I have seen a similiar pattern to this helmet before......it is a stunning example ! Thanks for showing !
    Prost ! Steve.

Why did they have to separate each section with a black line?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    Why did they have to separate each section with a black line?
    Regulations, in order to seperate the colours, regulations also stipulated that no more than four colour patches were to be visible from the front when applied correctly !.......but as in most armies, regulations were not followed and many soldiers ommitted the black lines ! see my M17 here.....
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks for your reply, Steve, although I should have asked my question differently. I suppose my question is, why was this regulation? Was it a measure taken to prevent friendly fire? WWII German camo helmets are always so unique. It's just funny to me that all of the WWI helmets have the same camo pattern.

i really LIKE this one! Jim G.

ps : Steve, yours is sweet as well!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast