Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Value of German M18 ear cut out helmets?

Article about: Get some pics for us to see. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Value of German M18 ear cut out helmets?

Get some pics for us to see.

Cheers, Ade.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?
    P
    Many

Quote by oradour View Post
    Gentlemen, Ade is quite right, and only in size 64, the Eissenhutten plant at Thale was the only firm to recieve the contract, less than 10.000 made. Lots of fakes !...people take a Model 1918, cut and flare around the ear position, but they never look right and more often than not they use the wrong maker marked helmet !....So a genuine one MUST be mm ''ET64''.
    I only get to see the India made fakes.
    Never payed any attention to them, so I don't know how they look inside or the marks they bear....
    But I guess one should be able to get to see one on the internet!?
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

I do not have my digital camera with me so I apologize for the grainy cell phone pics. And to top-it-off... when I returned to the store to take these pics... now I can't see the "64" that I thought I saw! Wouldn't a repro have the original three piece liner if they were trying to "pull one over" on us?

There is some kind of elliptical stamp on the crown but I can't make out any symbols. And a little background on the shop... I'm in a very popular resort town in eastern washington state. It's all farming over here so there are lots of antique shops. I've had a wonderful time browsing for military items...

I'm hopeful, but not stupid. Thanks in advance!
    -Flash
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?   Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  

Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?   Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  

The stamp in the crown is a "dome stamp" or more correctly a Abnahmestempel. You can read more about it here:

German-Helmets.com

I have given up trying to second guess fakers. So it being in re-issue configuration with M31 liner system might not mean anything.

But this helmet might be good, but it needs a more expert eye than mine to confrim or deny.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The stamp in the crown is a "dome stamp" or more correctly a Abnahmestempel. You can read more about it here:Cheers, Ade.
    Ade is correct, I am still sitting on the fence with this one, the photos are not good enough....it hinges on the ''cut out'' shape to wether it is correct or not...I cannot tell when comparing, which may be a good sign! at $150 I would personally buy, but thats my opinion. Ade, as you know I am not up to speed on TR period, was the dome stamp applied by the maker or the issue/clothing store ? and when were they first used, as I feel it may be critical to aging this helmet, as I understand, this type of helmet ceased production in late 1918. flash developer it MUST be marked ET64 and where the domestamp is a stamped heat lot number is usually present.

Gents, having read the link given by Ade it is IMO that this helmet should not have this dome stamp, as I understand it to be a TR period regulation. It does say on the same site that so succesful was the M18 cut-out helmet, that a firm (name not known) was commisioned to remake this type of helmet in size 66 in the late to mid 1920's, to supplement existing WW1 supplies, http://www.german-helmets.com/HEER%2...%20Helmets.htm, however this is still prior to the TR period.

Hi Steve, the dome stamp was a Third Reich era invention and done at the factory, but in this case, most likely done when the helmet was rebuilt to the new liner system and updated paint colours.

Cheers, Ade.

Ty, The only original ear cut outs were ET 64, and originals have a distinct "fender" flare at the apex of the cut out, very noticeable from the front, back and from above. Please post pictures of the piece before you buy it so we can try to help you out. There are MANY fakes out there, both modern made and those made from original ET64 M18 shells that the forgers simply cut to turn a $500 helmet into a $3500 "extremely rare" piece. Fortunately, when you know what you are looking at, most fakes are fairly easy to spot. Be careful, and good luck. Flash, if the liner is good in your potential purchase, why not take a chance? Do look for the flared apron. Hopefully you have stumbled on the purchase of the year! Jim G.

Ade, I must bite the bullet and pay the price wanted for Baers book !...I was silly not to purchase when the two editions first came out !.....a case of not doing what I preach !....WW1 to Transitional to Third Reich, IMO all related in some way or another.

Hi Steve, it is well worth having. Luckly I bought it first time around. I even got it cheap back then: my copy has the cover on upside down! So I got a discount. You just look a T*t when reading it

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast