Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Value of German M18 ear cut out helmets?

Article about: Get some pics for us to see. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: Value of German M18 ear cut out helmets?

Sorry to double post. I missed your last one.

helmet2id
    How about measurements? Can't you just give me the measurements from your two lids and then I compare themto my prospect? They should be consistent coming from the same manufacturer, correct?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?
    P
    Many

I think that this will be my last comment on this thread. You have asked for comments and advice. When given you question the motivation of those who respond. When I bought the SD I did measure the 2 pieces out of curiosity and perhaps an overabundance of caution (I also showed them to several very experienced collectors who know a heck of alot my than I just to be sure!) and the dimensions were the same, but I do not recall the #'s. I get the sense that you want your prospective purchase to be real, despite several issues that I would characterize as serious red flags - but for $150, why not just go for it? It is worth at least that much as a repro for reenactors, so if it doesn't check out, you won't lose any money, and if it is real, you hit a home run. Good luck with it. Jim G.

I think that this will be my last comment on this thread. You have asked for comments and advice. When given you question the motivation of those who respond. When I bought the SD I did measure the 2 pieces out of curiosity and perhaps an overabundance of caution (I also showed them to several very experienced collectors who know a heck of alot my than I just to be sure!) and the dimensions were the same, but I do not recall the #'s. I get the sense that you want your prospective purchase to be real, despite several issues that I would characterize as serious red flags - but for $150, why not just go for it? It is worth at least that much as a repro for reenactors, so if it doesn't check out, you won't lose any money, and if it is real, you hit a home run. Good luck with it. Jim G.
    I've stated several times that I have no expectations on this lid, only that I enjoy the "hunt". Please explain how I have questioned anyone's motivation. I questioned the angle of the images taken. I always welcome input/help from this forum. That is why I donated to this site after only a few posts.

If you are going to take the time to question my motivations, why not take the time to measure your two lids and help me out?(if I had two such rare lids, I would!) Why not answer my question on other possible appraisers? Why not explain why you think the fleabay lid is legit?(or explain which angle/image suggests it's original?). Personally, I DO see the "fender flare" at the apex/top of the cut-out.

If you are are too busy, then say so. I can understand that. I actually agree with you, helmet2id. As I stated, I think it is worth haggling the owner down a bit and then sending the helmet for an appraisal. I won't be disappointed either way!

Dimas, the second post in this thread(with more posts and rep power than most who have responded...), stated there were "...a lot of re-issued by Finnish and Afgan armies...". This is either a reissue or a fake, period. I'll keep you all posted. Mods, please do not lock this thread just yet.
    -Flash

p.s. This gentleman, http://www.nchsinc.com/AboutGeorge.html, sold my grandfather the british para, M1917A1, adrian, german M40 and italian M33 back in the '70s. His shop is closing it's doors this August after decades(1969 to now...) of militaria sales. I recently asked him if I could scan and post some pages from his militaria catalog from the '70s. He was nice enough to get back to me, and I'll leave you all with a quote from that email response:
    I had one of the biggest collections of Luftwaffe items in the world, but have sold it all some time ago, and now l only am a dealer. The internet has changed things as we all
    know, and now collecting has become a "Big Game". Its no longer much fun, the thrill of the chase is no longer there(to most people this is biding on e bay or someones
    web site!!!), and most internet collectors believe anything that some one puts on their web site, and all the new "Experts" on the forums who know everything about nothing
    and bad mouth in many cases some perfectly originial items etc etc and on and on and on. As a old timer who has had a lot of experence in seeing things, and knowing
    what happened and where 20-30-40 years ago etc etc, it more or less makes me sick about what has happened to this hobby( as well as life in general). Anyway, thats
    the way things are happening now and so be it. This is why you do not see me on any of the forums!!!!!! I have info, research , photos, knowledge etc etc that would blow
    peoples minds, but I have no time to share it, and answer the 1000s of bullshit questions and comments this sort of thing would generate.
    And later he states:
    In regards to the internet, the forums etc there are a good number of serious people who I respect what they know and say, and it has
    opened up a lot of new areas in the collecting hobby, and I of course know all of this, but as a old timer I just do not like a lot of what is going on, but thats my problem and means
    nothing.
    This is NOT meant to insult anyone here or in any other of the forums I browse. I DO find it interesting and very entertaining... ;-)
    Last edited by flash developer; 07-05-2010 at 06:42 PM.

So if I understood it right that would made thise helmet a bogus as well.
    It was offered with a warranty!!??
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?   Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  

Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Well Gentlemen, here she is.
    I apologize I've been busy with work but I did pick up this lid for $150. I'm still not convinced it's either real or fake. The metal shows signs of wear that is similar to some of the original lids(my stretch-marks...). I'm still working on the stamping. The area of the stamping is very pitted and rough.

So if I understood it right that would made thise helmet a bogus as well.
    stuka f, forgive me but I don't understand your question. Are those pictures of your lid or someone elses?
    Thanks,
    FD
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?   Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  

Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?   Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  

Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?   Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  

My apologies for a double post, but here is where the stamping should be, "ET 64" for example. I've been using various paint thinners and removers and the paint has hardly budged... tough stuff! I don't want to damage it if it is real, but I think I'll keep going to try to find the stamping(if it exists). What do you gents think?
    Thanks
    Flash
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  

You guys are over complicating this thread. This is easy.

All you need is ONE photo taken from the side of the helmet on a flat surface. Then it's easy to tell. The reproductions don't compare at all you can spot them at a glance. The metal worked fake jobs do not have the right flare. The only way to fake an original M18 into a cut out require repainting to hide the trauma to the helmet and solder work that will crack off if dropped a few times.

Here is an original I owned. Cut outs on the repros are over done. Originals are very slight.

If you can get a photo of the helmet like the one posted here in this post I can tell you at a glance if it's good or bad.

The Second photo is also an excellent angle to view and compare from.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Value of  German M18 ear cut out helmets?  
    Last edited by 1918Militaria; 08-25-2010 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Adding photos

Second photo. Not sure why it did not come out in the first post....

PS the helmets posted in posts 34 and 35 are fake reproductions. I'd bet my life on that.

Quote by 1918Militaria View Post
    PS the helmets posted in posts 34 and 35 are fake reproductions. I'd bet my life on that.
    Yep! By the way, that is a really nice example that you posted. Do you still own it? If so, can you make out a lot number? Thanks, Jim G.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast