Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

vorsicht nicht werfen

Article about: Another recent purchase is this WWI German munitions box. Im not 100% what it contained but upon photographing it the writing on the top became clearer and translatable. It reads 'vorsicht n

Default vorsicht nicht werfen

Another recent purchase is this WWI German munitions box.

Im not 100% what it contained but upon photographing it the writing on the top became clearer and translatable.

It reads 'vorsicht nicht werfen' or Caution - Do not throw (or there about's).

Here it is with my newest Butcher blade on top for size.

vorsicht nicht werfen

vorsicht nicht werfen

vorsicht nicht werfen

Cool
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Nice box and you are correct that werfen is the German verb "to throw" but in this context I suggest the meaning "Caution do not drop" or by way of interpretation "Handle with care".
    A relic bunker near the Anhalterbahnhof ruins in Berlin bears the grafitti "Wer Bunker Baut Wirft Bomben" which might be interpreted as "Those who build bunkers drop bombs" as in English one would not say "throws bombs".

Any other markings on the box?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Nice box and you are correct that werfen is the German verb "to throw" but in this context I suggest the meaning "Caution do not drop" or by way of interpretation "Handle with care".
    A relic bunker near the Anhalterbahnhof ruins in Berlin bears the grafitti "Wer Bunker Baut Wirft Bomben" which might be interpreted as "Those who build bunkers drop bombs" as in English one would not say "throws bombs".

Any other markings on the box?

Regards

Mark
    Thats basically what I took it to mean, as in don't throw it about/drop it because if it was stick grenades in it that would defeat there objective

There are markings under the handle but sadly they are very faint.