Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

What do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm?

Article about: I just purchased this for relatively cheap.. unless it's fake? Seems almost like original greenish paint is visible under the black paint, but it this paint that has me puzzled.. Your help i

Default What do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm?

I just purchased this for relatively cheap.. unless it's fake? Seems almost like original greenish paint is visible under the black paint, but it this paint that hasWhat do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm?What do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm?What do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm?What do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm?What do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm? me puzzled..

Your help is kindly appreciated!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm?
    P
    Many

Default re: What do you think of this Ersatz Stalhelm?

Dang Shizzle.. anyone help?

MW, this is an original "Ersatz Prussian Infantry Stahlblech (steel) Pickelhaube" made from one sheet of steel, in one piece, front and rear visors being part of that pressing, these helmets had the entire bottom edge rolled to form a beaded edge, they did not have a rear spine or added visor trim as they were strong enough without...they were commonly painted an "Olive Green" and their brass fittings were chemically darkened....this example has been messed with, a former owner has cut slits to affix some sort of chinstrap, this is wrong, cut the strap off ! these helmets were fitted with M91 chinstrap mounts, on the outside on both sides of the helmet, one is missing on this shell....wether one can sourced is debatable, but you could try try to find one, it would then need a chinstrap (same as a leather Pickelhaube) and a pair of cockades....I would try to remove the black paint down the green.....this helmet would of been fitted with a leather liner similiar to the leather pickelhaube, only it would be fitted to the shell by split brads. This helmet will make a good restoration project and with care and attention could be returned to good standard.
    Prost ! Steve.

Thanks Big O, that's very helpful, and I likewise was confused by the strap.. do you think this could have been fixed war time by a soldier? I will follow your thoughts and restore my helm as you described.. stay tuned for photos..

Also, what value do you think this has as is, versus after restoration? And is it rare?

Quote by Mapuche Warrior View Post
    do you think this could have been fixed war time by a soldier?..
    No......
    Prost ! Steve.