Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

what is this helmet?

Article about: by oradour Steve, those makers that made only one size tend to be rarer, heres a quick list of known mm, other marks exist, but there meaning/makers are lost to time :- Maker name/City. Make

Default what is this helmet?

I just bought this helmet at a garage sale for 20$ .The seller told me it was a ww1 German helmet but I knew it was not a German Helmet ,it just did not have the correct look.Any info on this will be great.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what is this helmet?   what is this helmet?  

what is this helmet?   what is this helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement what is this helmet?
    P
    Many

Default Re: what is this helmet?

That is what it looks like........a small one ?
    Are there markings stamped inside ?
    (Austria and Hungary wore this type too)

$20. is amazing ! !

Regards, Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    That is what it looks like........a small one ?
    Are there markings stamped inside ?
    (Austria and Hungary wore this type too)

$20. is amazing ! !

Regards, Steve.
    I just check for marking I do not see any, it looks like the size would be a 64.It is not a Austrian helmet or German it just does not look like the ones I have.If it is a hungarian is it from ww1 and is it still a good deal.The helmet is a lot flatter than the one I have look at picture 1 and 4.Thank you

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    I just check for marking I do not see any, it looks like the size would be a 64.It is not a Austrian helmet or German it just does not look like the ones I have.If it is a hungarian is it from ww1 and is it still a good deal.The helmet is a lot flatter than the one I have look at picture 1 and 4.Thank you
    Thank you.

You are right, it does look 'squashed', more flattened than any I've ever seen.

From the side pics, it is not as noticeable. Maybe the lip or edge was trimmed
    too short before they crimped it over, and when the rim was bent,
    it came out shorter ! ?

A factory second ! ? !

Anyone else have an ideas on this ?

Regards, Steve.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 05-15-2010 at 01:09 AM.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    You are right, it does look 'squashed', more flattened than any I've ever seen.

From the side pics, it is not as noticeable. Maybe the lip or edge was trimmed
    too short before they crimped it over, and when the rim was bent,
    it came out shorter ! ?

A factory second ! ? !

Anyone else have an ideas on this ?

Regards, Steve.
    I look at other countries that had the same model but that did not help much.I know my German helmets from ww1 and ww2 but this one I can not found anything on it.I know in ww1 the Germans had different models than the M16, M17 and the M18 but can not found anything on thoses one had a longer visor on it.

Reg
    ?

It reminds me a little of the Irish post-war Vickers made helmets, but they had a tang or hole on the front for a badge! Its certainly an interesting shape!

Hopefuly someone on here will know what it is.

Cheers
    Reg
    Attached Images Attached Images what is this helmet? 

cricketchris1944, this is a Model 1916 German Stahlhelm,I take it it has M91 style chinstrap posts...the slope of German helmets towards the rear skirt is very different when comparing different makers, Visors were either short or longer and the angle of the slope was steep or flat. I include a sample chart below for comparison showing the different angles, your looks to me like the maker ' Remschied-Hasten' size 64, the stamp for this maker would be 'K 64' (size 64 was made by this firm). Are there any letters/numbers stamped on either inside or outside the crown of the helmet. Oh and by the way....$20 !! you cant get any better than that !
    From top to bottom :-
    F.W.Quist 'Q'
    Unknown relic, size 66
    Remscheid-Hasten 'K'
    Eisenhuttenwerk Thale 'ET'
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what is this helmet?  

ian
    ?

relatives of mine in hugary have a couple of helmets exactly like this one , olso one of my uncles (probably dead noe ) havent seen them for years has a hugarian helmet that is even shalower then this one , almost flat all the way around the rim ???,,ill have to go visit the family and see what i can get ,some live in budapest but most live in papa on the tizir, cheers ian

Quote by ian View Post
    relatives of mine in hugary have a couple of helmets exactly like this one , olso one of my uncles (probably dead noe ) havent seen them for years has a hugarian helmet that is even shalower then this one , almost flat all the way around the rim ???,,ill have to go visit the family and see what i can get ,some live in budapest but most live in papa on the tizir, cheers ian
    ian, IMO its not Hungarian or Austrian, the chinstrap attachment pins are not far enough up the skirt, i am certain that if a shot of the interior is shown, the helmet will have fixed M91 chinstrap attachments (as on a pickelhaube). Austrian & Hungarian helmets both had swivel type bails for the chinstrap, ( like the German M18 helmet which had the bails fixed on the metal liner band ), but the Austro-Hungarian had mounts which were fastened high up on the skirt of the helmet shell.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast