Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wounded Korporal in WW1 - Budapest Hospital

Article about: Hello, My grandfather was in the Austrian Army (or Austro-Hungarian Army?) during the Great War, he was wounded and spent time in a hospital in Budapest in 1915. Can anyone help me find any

Default Wounded Korporal in WW1 - Budapest Hospital

Hello,
    My grandfather was in the Austrian Army (or Austro-Hungarian Army?) during the Great War, he was wounded and spent time in a hospital in Budapest in 1915.
    Can anyone help me find any battles that occurred in 1915 near Budapest? I am assuming that if he ended in a Budapest hospital he must have been wounded reasonably close to Budapest, am I right?
    Where soldiers transported to Budapest hospitals even if they were wounded far away?
    I am trying to put together my grandfather's whereabouts during WW1.
    Many thanks for your help!
    Ernie

Hi Ernie. Do you know in what months of 1915 your grandfather stayed at hospital?

Santi

Hi Santi,
    Unfortunately not, this is a copy of the page where it is recorded.
    Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images Wounded Korporal in WW1 - Budapest Hospital 

As you know the Austro-Hungarian Empire had many official languages (German, Hungarian, Slovene, Serbian-Croatian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, Ucranian, Italian, Romanian.....) The hospitalization form is printed in Polish.
    At that time, official documents were usually written in the language spoken by the soldier of the imperial army (the language of his nationality)
    That makes me think of a possible polish origin of your grandfather (Remember that Polish Galicia was a territory of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) I don´t know if this is possible. You can affirm or deny it by viewing your own last name.
    In any case, if the hospital in question was in Budapest, this city was in the deepest rear hundreds of kilometers from the nearest front.
    That´s all I can say.

Regards
    Santi

Hi, the battles that took place in 1915 in this area were predominately in Galacia, modern day Poland and some bits of what is now Ukraine. The Russian Army got as far as the Carpathian mountains took a couple of the passes that lead through to Hungary and of course Budapest. If your relative was indeed a Polish speaker this would make sense to his location as he may well have been wounded in any number of the defensive battles that took place from late 1914 till 1915.

The Austro Hungarian army was as a mix of all races from the Empire and although commands were given in German most units only spoke their native tongue. If he was evacuated to the rear the rear then he was very lucky as most soldiers got zero treatment when wounded.

Read about the Carpathian war plenty of books in English, German and Italian plus the frontier battles of August 1914 and the Burislov offensive by the Russians.

Hope that helps as a little bit of guidance.

cheers

Tony

Hello Santi,
    You are right, my grandfather was born in Nowosiolki which later became part of Poland. His Military Booklet I believe was issued after the war and it is all written in Polish. He was a POW in 1919-1920 by the communists/bolsheviks, that is what I understand from the document. Unfortunately I do not speak Polish. I am trying to put all together and it is very difficult. Many thanks for your input. Ernie

Glad to help you Ernie. Maybe some other members can help you. I also agree with the opinion of our friend Tony.

Santi
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 06-17-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Hello Tony,
    Many thanks for your input, this is very helpful, I will go into the details of all of it.
    I have tried to search in the Polish Archives for his name and they did not find anything, I am now contacting the Austrian Archives Main Office to see if they have something.
    Would it be possible to know in more details his whereabouts? Like what batalion, regiment, etc was he part of? Or am I asking for too muchg detail?
    Best
    Ernie

Thank you Santi,
    Do you know what does this page say?
    Best
    Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images Wounded Korporal in WW1 - Budapest Hospital 

Hi if you know where and when he was born and lived then it would be possible to guess his unit as he would have been either conscripted into the local regiment or recalled as a trained reservist. From there we can follow the units history as we will know it's place in the Army Organisation chart and hence it's deployment and which front he fought on. cheers Tony

ps not perfect way to do it and makes a lot of assumptions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast