Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wuttemberg pickelhaube stamp

Article about: I have a very nice Wurttemberg M-95 Mannschaften pickelhaube, with a currious stamp. KBAG 1914. Question is: why would a non-Guard helmet be stamped by the KBAG. Joe Robinson tells me he has

?

Default Wuttemberg pickelhaube stamp

I have a very nice Wurttemberg M-95 Mannschaften pickelhaube, with a currious stamp. KBAG 1914. Question is: why would a non-Guard helmet be stamped by the KBAG. Joe Robinson tells me he has seen this stamp on other non-Guard helmets, though he has no idea why. Perhaps they had a supply contract for certain items? This helmet was also made by a previously unknown firm, Gustav Rohricht, Berlin, which may or may not have something to do with it. Does anyone have any thoughts on this seemingly odd stamp?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wuttemberg pickelhaube stamp  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wuttemberg pickelhaube stamp
    P
    Many

Default Re: Wuttemberg pickelhaube stamp

DPWICK...my take on this would be possible "after the battle" recycling, it was common practiceespecially at the begining of the war for forage/clean-up parties to sweep the battlefield shortly after the victors had moved on....everything found in good condition (from packs, helmets, weapons, etc) was sent back to stores (after being evaluated/repaired), not necessarily to the issuing Regiment, where it would be modified for future use by that "finding" Regiment and re-issued at a later date. So your Guard helmet became a Wurttemburg helmet, stamps were usually crossed out and a new mark stamped, however this usually occured when it was re-issued to a man, I guess this one either got overlooked or remained in store.
    Just for reference, the marking "K.B.A.G" stands for "Kriegs-Bekleidungsamt Gardekorps" meaning the Guard Corps wartime clothing department.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Default Re: Wuttemberg pickelhaube stamp

Hi Steve,
    Yes, that's a good point. There isn't any marking on the helmet surface to indicate a Guard Wappen having been fitted, but then it wouldn't leave an impression if it was only on for a short time. That is a very possible suggestion. Thanks for that. Denton