Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?

Article about: I'm looking to possibly purchase an original WW 1 German Gas Mask. I want to get some opinions regarding the authenticity before possibly purchasing. As you can see from the pictures, it see

Default Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?

I'm looking to possibly purchase an original WW 1 German Gas Mask. I want to get some opinions regarding the authenticity before possibly purchasing. As you can see from the pictures, it seems to be in really great shape. The seller said that he purchased the item in an antique store. Also, I read in an earlier post that the filters were made of asbestos. Is it safe to purchase? Is it worth purchasing? Do I have to store it in a case? If anyone could give me some more information regarding WW 1 German Gas Masks and what to look for to make sure it's authentic, I would greatly appreciate it. I welcome all opinions! Thanks for your time. Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?
    P
    Many

This is a very nice authentic m1917 Lederschutzmaske. It is not very unusual to find them in good condition, but this one is nicely marked and complete. If this is a fair price it would be a good purchase.

I cant say for certain if they put asbestos in these filters, but I think they didnt. I have a large collection of gas masks and many do contain asbestos, which can be effectively neutralized by pouring in a solution of PVA glue. This is just a precaution however, if it is undisturbed (and obviously unworn) it is very unlikely to be dangerous as I understand that asbestos is only a serious problem if stirred up and dispersed into the air. I store all my masks outside their cases as they seem to be less prone to deterioration this way.

There isnt a big problem with fake German gas masks, convincingly faking an item like this would be very hard. I dont know of any convincing copies of the M1917 pattern at all, though I know there is a replica M1915 Gummishutzmaske. What is more likely to be a problem is fake paintwork and markings on cannisters, but this one looks convincing to me.

Here is my mask, differing in having an extra filter piece over the front of the filter and a leather strap added by the soldier (the strap on the one you show looks to be the issue type)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this WW 1 German Gas Mask authentic?  

very good original.

If I recall correctly, the Germans used charcoal-filters...
    This is a very desirable mask...it would surely sell for at least $250+ out there...
    cheers, Glenn

Yes I think Glenn is right about the filters. In Britain these go for £200-£250 in my experience. This could go for more as its nicely marked.
    Last edited by douglas2496; 01-16-2015 at 11:31 PM.

?

That is a very nice original set, the naming is exceptional and a big bonus.
    Regards,
    John

this is on ebay

German WWI Gasmask Canister Unit Marked Germany WW1 Gas Mask Named Painted | eBay

its already at 230. This will go for high since this guy always has his items go for over price

I saw this when he first listed it

don't waste your money, it will go for high dollar. Just my thoughts that's all...

?

I don't think that asbestos is a problem with WWI masks, but if they were actually worn during a gas attack, there maybe something to think about. If the mask was worn during an attack and the filter picked up gas - that gas maybe given back off over time. A friend of mine became very ill after wearing and original mask that had been worn during an attack. The amount of gas given off is small, but can cause a problem. I keep mine in a ventilated area.

?

I found one in a large group of bring back items. Not knowing if it was contaminated or when last opened, I actually had a knowledgeable friend, who,btw is Stephen King's researcher, look into the half life of WWI toxic gas sealed in a gas mask container. We determined safe to handle, but not to wear. Also, first time opened should be in well ventilated area with a partiical mask at the very least
    Regards,
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast