Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

WW I ersatz trench knife

Article about: Hello! IMO it is original trench knife what do you think about it? Regards W.

I bought this knife from my friend who has owned this knife for over 40 years

MAP
    ?

Quote by wunderwafe View Post
    this is definitely original, I am absolutely sure.Originality was confirmed by experts like Ralph, Phil and MAP
    but still codcition this knife is bad..
    Best regards,
    W.
    Thank you....but don't count me as an expert I don't study them. Just pointed to original threads for study and noted my general observations that it was cleaned
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I agree 1000% with that. That grayish silver finish I have seen a many of times after bead blasting steel.
    What a shame.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    These are a tricky one and I did not say it was good. See my comment above. I would defer to member Lance(Militariaone)for confirmation on it's originality. I had mentioned that in one of Lance's threads. That when I do find one, he will be my go to guy for authentication prior to my purchase as these have been reproduced for quite sometime.

Are there any markings on the ricasso spine like this thread. Post 4 last pic.?

Demag Crank Handle Ersatz Boyonet/Knife

Eric has since left this earth but he still is educating us from the heavens.

Semper Fi
    Phil

These are a tricky one and I did not say it was good.
    Sorry Phil, I have not got nothing bad in my mind. Im shure it is original knife.

?

Quote by wunderwafe View Post
    Sorry Phil, I have not got nothing bad in my mind. Im shure it is original knife.
    I never thought you had any bad intent.

Did you look for that acceptance marking on the spine of the ricasso?

From what I understand and I hope I am correct. That marking is a good sign.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Greetings Gents,

These (as well-mentioned) are a bit of a minefield to determine originality on. My two original examples were lost to some movers several years ago:-( Personally, I would stay/steer away from any examples, which did not sport most of their original paint as that patina is quite hard to replicate (refer to Ralph's stunning example). Yes, you will of course pay more for higher quality, but there's less chance of getting an "aged" reproduction. Folks have been pairing aged reproduction examples with original (read: generic) WWI German scabbards for decades in order to better pass the reproduction bayos off as original. Typically, the easiest way to determine a reproduction, is the newness of the leather bits and flat snaps on the accompanying scabbard, however when the leather is missing or the bayo is paired with an original scabbard; shenanigans may be afoot (i.e approach with caution).

Admittedly, I could not speak to the originality of the posted example in question as I viewed nothing to confirm or deny that it is or it isn't original. I do recall most reproductions typically possess a slightly thicker crossguard, but the comparative widths escape me. That all said, if you are happy with it, then that's all that really matters.

Ciao,

Lance

Did you look for that acceptance marking on the spine of the ricasso?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    My example also bears the stamp on the ricasso spine.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

OK I went back to a site Bernie Levine's knife forum that I followed years ago and found this 2010 entry about DEMAG crank handle bayonets and I hope that Lance's can give it thumbs up if correct.

"I have a May 1998 issue of Military Trader that has an article on WWI German fighting knives and also mentions reproductions of the crank handle version. It states that the fakes have a crossguard that is four millimeters thick while the original has a crossguard that is only three millimeters thick."

Semper Fi
    Phil

OK I went back to a site Bernie Levine's knife forum that I followed years ago and found this 2010 entry about DEMAG crank handle bayonets and I hope that Lance's can give it thumbs up if correct.

"I have a May 1998 issue of Military Trader that has an article on WWI German fighting knives and also mentions reproductions of the crank handle version. It states that the fakes have a crossguard that is four millimeters thick while the original has a crossguard that is only three millimeters thick."

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Great detective work, Phil! Thank you, for the source as well as the measurements.

V/r Lance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12