Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?

Article about: Hello, Julekpl again. After countless attempts of trying to purchase an interesting ww1 98/05 bayonet, I have found one I would really like, but I am not sure about it. From what the owner s

Default WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?

Hello, Julekpl again. After countless attempts of trying to purchase an interesting ww1 98/05 bayonet, I have found one I would really like, but I am not sure about it. From what the owner says, this is a ww1 re-issued 98/05 bayonet that has been issued to the Polish army after the first world war. I know Poland used very similar bayonets, and even German ones during world war two, but I have not seen a 98/05 issued to the Polish army. There are markings on the scabbard and on the bayonet itself, mainly the latter "P" for Poland, and this "WZ 88". The handle seems to be a later attachment, maybe after the first world war. Imperial markings are also there as well. Any thoughts on this one? Thanks! WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland? WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland? WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland? WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland? WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?

Could very well be Polish, but the grip panels seem to be very
    ill-fittng - and it's been heavily cleaned. I'd wait for
    a better example.........
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 06-30-2012 at 05:04 AM. Reason: Additional text.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?

Definitely Polish re-work - "wz" is abbreviated version of Wzor or Model.

To quote from Anthony Carter

" The majority of the S98/05 nA used by the Poles were completely refurbished. In most cases the flashguards were removed and new grips fitted; the new grips were usually smooth but occasionally ribbed replacements were used. At the same time the scabbards were painted khaki. Polish inspection stamps of small capital letters within squares were often stamped on the blades and the Polish designation on the pommels. WZ 88, WZ 98 and WZ 98/05 have all been seen"

Here's some similar bayonets - not mine but photos found on the net.

- - Updated - -

Definitely Polish re-work - "wz" is abbreviated version of Wzor or Model.

To quote from Anthony Carter

" The majority of the S98/05 nA used by the Poles were completely refurbished. In most cases the flashguards were removed and new grips fitted; the new grips were usually smooth but occasionally ribbed replacements were used. At the same time the scabbards were painted khaki. Polish inspection stamps of small capital letters within squares were often stamped on the blades and the Polish designation on the pommels. WZ 88, WZ 98 and WZ 98/05 have all been seen"

Here's some similar bayonets - not mine but photos found on the net.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?   WW1 98/05 bayonet re-issued for Poland?