Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

WW1 Close Combat Hand Weapons / Body Armour

Article about: Looking through a number in "Illustriete Weltkriegschronik " 1916 magazine series came across a illustration of a Austro- Hungarian infantry soldier ready for close combat in a gas

?

A few items.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Close Combat Hand Weapons / Body Armour   WW1 Close Combat Hand Weapons / Body Armour  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Close Combat Hand Weapons / Body Armour
    P
    Many

?

Well, this is the first time I have seen such a collection of weapons.
    I must say, I am a tad stunned. Fighting to the death whilst so close to your opponent must have been a terrible ordeal. Especially with weapons like this.

Great thread.
    Cheers

?

Quote by JBrunt View Post
    Here are my 2 trench clubs. The first one is a British officers club made from a wood shaft, with a lead knob hammered on. The knob is woven in leather, and leather covers the top part of the shaft. the rest is some sort of hardened woven fabric. It almost seems like melted wax was absorbed into the fabric material. And a basic leather wrist strap. The second is a bit if a jimmy-rigged club made by a Canadian soldier. The shaft on this was made of a heavy spring increasing the blow when swung. There is a leather bag, filled with little shot pellets, and woven in leather. Thick string and a tree sap like substance (which is crusty and mostly gone) were used to tie it all together. I'm guessing there was some sort of wrist wrap on it but the glue/string is coming loose so it may be lost.
    Here is a Canadian trench club very similar to yours. Look like yours might have had a similar insignia.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Close Combat Hand Weapons / Body Armour   WW1 Close Combat Hand Weapons / Body Armour  

WW1 Close Combat Hand Weapons / Body Armour   WW1 Close Combat Hand Weapons / Body Armour  

Default A few more...

Greetings all,

Darned things are a challenge to display, but with a little imagination they can really add to a room's décor

Regards,

Lance

Nice Lance. A conversation piece for dinner guests!

Lance,
    Most people never see one and here you have ten of them hanging.
    Very cool.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4