Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 crested china german helmet

Article about: Hi This may be of interest to some a ww1 English crested china ,German helmet ww1 ,the last one I saw went for £40 0n ebay

Default ww1 crested china german helmet

Hi This may be of interest to some a ww1 English crested china ,German helmet ww1 ,the last one I saw went for £40 0n ebay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 crested china german helmet   ww1 crested china german helmet  

ww1 crested china german helmet  

Default Re: ww1 crested china german helmet

Hi, What type of German helmet would this represent? It reminds me of an Imperial Colonial Tropenhelm. Am I correct?

Hi As far as I know its a general interpretation of a german helmet of the period ,however it may have been the helmet you mention the modeler had a picture of or in front of him/her. Its the only german helmet that they made as far as I know some of these little models make several hundreds of pounds if they have a war theme ,millons were made as holiday take homes ,but only war related ones seem worth a reasonable amount .Other may know more.

Gentlemen, these type of china pottery trinkets go by the generic name of "Goss and crested ware" as there name suggests these small items were embellished with a transfer crest of a particular attraction/city, although many designs were made by several potteries eminating from all over the U.K. mainly from around Stoke-on-Trent/Hanley area, this area was known as the "Potteries" because the main area of production in the area was stoneware,chine, and all forms of pottery....these items were usually sold as souvenirs at the British seaside or at tourist attractions around the country, as well as everyday objects, there was a surge in military items after WW1, helmets, tanks,morters, searchlights, mines and even field guns!...however I tend to think the designers never saw what thay modelled, and that at the very least they were just representations....their "Picklehaube" looks suspicously like a Victorian British spiked helmet! hence your "German helmet" ...Goss and crested ware is highly collectable, some of can be picked up for peanuts, However the British Mk 1 tank version can run into the hundreds. I have 2 such pieces, one I show here (next to an item of trench art) is a "City of London" model of the "Cenotaph", my other is of a searchlight crested "Southend-on-sea". Hope that gives some light on the subject.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 crested china german helmet  

Gents...some more WW1 inspired "crested ware"...1) Field gun. 2)Tank. 3) Ariel mine. 4) Mills bomb. 5) Shell 6) Trnch morter. 7) Hospital ship. 8) Tank with rear wheels.
    Attached Images Attached Images ww1 crested china german helmet  ww1 crested china german helmet  ww1 crested china german helmet  ww1 crested china german helmet  ww1 crested china german helmet  ww1 crested china german helmet  ww1 crested china german helmet  ww1 crested china german helmet 

Nice items there Oradour. I have never seen or heard of these before

tampalam, I think there a bit of an "British" thing/trend....

Hi Very nice display ,I had a tank once ,wwi but different from one shown some 5yrs ago before I had interest in ww1 stuff several people were keen to get it I got £60 some minutes after I had paid 50p for it thats what alerted me to the military ones being worth looking out for, some of them were made in Germany after war but they did not mark them as at that time the hostility to Germans was great,the Germans had as big if not bigger porcelain/china industry than us Brits,so when I found helmet I hung on to it, a little group of them add to ww1 collection I think