Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 German Boots??!!

Article about: Hello everyone! Im getting these Hobnail boots for my ww1 mannequin display. Normally I wouldn't buy something if I'm not sure it ww1, but these were 25\\$!... Im know nothing of boots really

?

Default WW1 German Boots??!!

Hello everyone!

Im getting these Hobnail boots for my ww1 mannequin display. Normally I wouldn't buy something if I'm not sure it ww1, but these were 25$!...

Im know nothing of boots really but, They look German to me, and have multiple layered soles which I've heard is common for ww1 and not ww2 but I could be wrong. and They have weird high cut knees? also Very heavy hobnails.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

WW1 German Boots??!!WW1 German Boots??!!WW1 German Boots??!!WW1 German Boots??!!WW1 German Boots??!!WW1 German Boots??!!WW1 German Boots??!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German Boots??!!
    P
    Many

I like them...
    Glenn

?

Thanks Glenn! Yes they are quite nice
    Any idea on their era? Im leaning towards ww1 for a couple reason but I don't know much about boots...

I think they're WWI Era...I don't believe this type w/ the knee-guard was issued to the Wehrmacht...
    cheers, Glenn

CBH
    ?

Would the high front make them calvary ?

?

Didn't the WW1 boots have them seam on the side? With the knee guard they are a mounted type boot, but then why the hobnails? The only reason I could see a mounted boot with hobnails would be for a motorcycle. Anyway, they are worth the $25.

Not necessarily Cavalry, as the German Army used Horses for a variety of tasks...Hobnails prevent slipping under the wheels or hooves, provide better footing when leading a team of horses, etc etc...
    Glenn

?

True, they may well be artillery or train. However, I've done a bit of riding in my days, I just don't think I'd welcome hobnails in a stirrup.

?

They are cavalry boots, not jackboots, nothing unusual about the hobnails. Remember, after the opening months of the Great War, cavalry was found to be worse than useless - machine guns and artillery were devastating to horsemen and their mounts - and cavalry regiments began serving on foot rather than on horseback. That being said, there were more than enough new cavalry boots in reserve for them to be issued to the newly foot mobile cavalrymen well into the war, leather was in limited supply during the War due to the Allied blockade. These boots would have had hobnails and/or heel plates added for use in the trenches, they could be used mounted as well, the hobnails might scar the horses but horses had a short life in the Great War.

?

You're correct about the fate on the cav. once they went into trenches, that was something that had not crossed my mind.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast