Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

WW1 German Feld Flasche ?

Article about: Here's one I have 17 dated I think? missing the cover but has nice paint-- also these are first shots from a new camera

Here's one I have 17 dated I think? missing the cover but has nice paint-- also these are first shots from a new camera

?

Thanks for the pictures Rene - camera seems up to the job. The makers name is new to me Hoh Friedrich, I need one of these post 1915 steel Feld Flasche's. Its going on my buying list, when I visit the Military Fair at Reichertshofen last this month. See what I can turn up

Quote by AlecH View Post
    Thanks for the pictures Rene - camera seems up to the job. The makers name is new to me Hoh Friedrich, I need one of these post 1915 steel Feld Flasche's. Its going on my buying list, when I visit the Military Fair at Reichertshofen last this month. See what I can turn up
    Cheers Mate.
    Love to see what you turn up

?

Quote by AlecH View Post
    The makers name is new to me Hoh Friedrich
    The maker is "Hch. Friedrich", that is "Heinrich". I've seen painted steel canteens from this company dated 1916 and 1917.

CCMJR

?

These are the only other WW1 Feldflasche's I have. Think left one is Austro-Hungarian without jacket, neck stamped - Cloefer - 1/2L - MD4 - 1913, the date and capacity stampings are self-evident, not sure if Cloefer is the maker's name, initials MD4 have me puzzled. Other one in leather jacket, not able to see if its been stamped, take to be a early German WW1. Any info welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by AlecH; 09-17-2013 at 02:45 PM.

?

The "MD4" on the Austrian canteen is a code for the issuing Depot. Cloefer is the manufacturer name. These were normally carried in the breadbag (which had an inside pouch for it) by foot troops.

The leather covered canteen might be Russian. Most leather covered German canteens you see are pre-1893 and are glass. The sewing on the leather is rather crude, so it could be that the leather was added later and is not an issue feature.

CCMJR

?

Thanks Chip for the extra information on the Austrian canteen. Could well be the leather jacket is a later addition, its so tightly sown on the canteen, the only way to view the canteen neck is to cut the leather and peel it back, which I really don't want to do. Again thanks for the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12