Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 German Feld Flasche ?

Article about: Here's one I have 17 dated I think? missing the cover but has nice paint-- also these are first shots from a new camera

?

Default WW1 German Feld Flasche ?

Bought this canteen at the weekend, believe it to be German WW1 Feldflasche ? pity the jacket is in such poor shape. Didn't see another that had been posted, so decided to show this one.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Feld Flasche ?   WW1 German Feld Flasche ?  

Default Re: WW1 German Feld Flasche ?

Alec, shame about condition, but still a nice collectable Model 1893 Feldflasche !
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Steve - Thanks for the extra info - would you happen to know if these canteens with a stopper are common?
    Regards

Alec, absolutely ! of the three models used in WW1 by the Germans, the M1893 and M1915 models used the cork stopper, after a period, where the M1907 had used a screwtop like the Third Reich period bottles. the M1907 is in my opinion harder to find today.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Thanks for clearing up that point Steve - I'll have to keep a eye out in the hope of finding another felt cover in better condition.
    Regards

?

Picked up this Feldflasche at the weekend, looking at the markings on the screw-stopper and thread neck I knew it was WW1. Only after re-reading this thread did I realize it was in fact a M1907 water bottle as mentioned by Steve in post No.4. Like the bottle at the thread start, the felt jacket's condition has suffered over time, the makers mark was one I hadn't come across before - Basse & Fischer - Ludenschied - year of manufacture 1912. One additional bonus is the owners unit stamped on the thread neck - 20 I.R. (20th Infantry Regiment)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Feld Flasche ?   WW1 German Feld Flasche ?  

WW1 German Feld Flasche ?   WW1 German Feld Flasche ?  

WW1 German Feld Flasche ?  

Have to be honest - haven't seem one before.

Very nice and congrats on the pick up.

?

As Steve mentioned earlier, the M07s are tough to find, especially in good condition. Yours is particularly well marked. You don't see many with unit markings that survived the war. These canteens were replaced due primarily to the shortage of the raw materials needed to make aluminum and then the time it took to produce these better canteens. Before the end of 1914, orders were coming down to return aluminum items from the battlefield so that they could be reused for more urgent wartime needs. They made the M07 canteen out of sheet steel for a brief time (they are even harder to find today!) but that was soon replaced with the redesigned steel M15 pattern. Basse & Fisher of Ludenscheid also made aluminum canteen cups (I have one dated 1909) and I have seen one with a 1907 date. They continued to make cups and canteens from sheet steel once the order was given to stop making them from aluminum.

CCMJR

?

Hello Alec
    That is a really nice M07 canteen the unit id is a bonus your earlier looks like an Imperial Russian job to me, difficult with only one picture.

Eric

?

Gentlemen,
    Thanks for the posts, the extra information from CCMJR is always welcome. Eric - the original picture at the start of the thread unfortunately got scrambled in the last major forum update - 2011, along with about 60 - 70% of my pictures. I still have the water bottle, if I can lay my hands on it, I'll post a new picture. Regards

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast