Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a WW1 German Helmet?

Article about: Hi! I recently picked up this helmet at a local auction, it looks to be a German WW1 helmet (M1916?). If you can confirm, or suggest otherwise - please do reply. Would this have been used du

Default Is this a WW1 German Helmet?

Hi!

I recently picked up this helmet at a local auction, it looks to be a German WW1 helmet (M1916?). If you can confirm, or suggest otherwise - please do reply. Would this have been used during WW1 or is it possibly post-ww1? Any opinions greatly appreciated. Although not for sale (going into my collection), I'm curious as to value.

The only markings I could find are "N.J.6" impressed & what appears to be a faint name(?), possibly "Bzeke"(?) (also appears to be something above this word).

Overall looks fairly good condition to me, I'm excited that the liner & chin strap are intact (as others I've seen for sale locally over the years have been missing). Does have some surface rust, but nothing that seems too serious.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a WW1 German Helmet?   Is this a WW1 German Helmet?  

Is this a WW1 German Helmet?   Is this a WW1 German Helmet?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this a WW1 German Helmet?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Is this a WW1 German Helmet?

looks like WW I to me

German WWI M16, I think, looks good and original, though these are not something I know a lot about, I've had two, but none at the moment. Worth c$400-600, I think, but I could be wrong, as I dont look at prices of these anymore.

Jerry

blackice1981, a text book example of a Model 1916 Stahlhelm, super condition, you are very lucky to obtain one complete with liner/pads/chinstrap, all look 100% genuine !....nice find. The marking 'NJ 62' is the maker mark for ' Veringte Deutsche Nickelwerke, of Sohwerte i/Westfaln' they only made M16's in size 62, so there will be a '2' next to the '6' as this is the shell size, talking of numbers, look in the helmet at the top, the crown, there should be some letters/numbers that identify the rolling mill where the steel was manufactured, I have some of the codes and may be able to I.D. Value, these helmets (COMPLETE, AS THIS ONE IS) have almost doubled in the past 2-3 years, id say around £400+ ($600+).

Hi Everyone! Thanks for the replies! Oradour, I'll check on the those numbers/letters & post a follow-up shortly. I'm pleased to hear I didn't overpay. I paid approx. $550 (Canadian) & it came with a British WW2 Bayonet (unfortunately in very poor condition) & a German WW1 Bayonet (in very nice condition). Thanks again!!

Given that you received some blades with the helmet...I think you did very well! Hard to find M16's with the leather liner band being intact! Congrats!

Rob