Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 German Helmet and belt

Article about: I thought you might like to see the helmet and belt that came with the ID tag I posted a while ago: http://warrelics.eu/forum/imperial-g...an-id-tag.html I think it is a german M17 style hel

Default WW1 German Helmet and belt

I thought you might like to see the helmet and belt that came with the ID tag I posted a while ago:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...an-id-tag.html

I think it is a german M17 style helmet, that unfortunately has had the liner rot away in my shed over the last 40 odd years, before I realized this stuff is somewhat valuable The worst part is there is two WW2 helmets still in the shed somewhere, and it is 45 degrees celcius here at the moment, oh well 40 odd years another few months won't hurt

Anyway, if anyone can enlighten me on it's correct model etc and the type of belt, it would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Grant
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Helmet and belt   WW1 German Helmet and belt  

WW1 German Helmet and belt   WW1 German Helmet and belt  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German Helmet and belt
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1 German Helmet and belt

Hi Grant, have you got any better pics of the stitching on the leather tab and the catch on the buckle? Is the tab actually sewn on or is it loose?
    Ben

Hi Ben,

No problems, it is night here now, so I took these with an artificial light, but think they are okay. The tab was still held by a couple of threads, but I pulled it apart to get the photos for you, not too sure which part is the catch so I took a couple for you. Looks as though the loop part that the other end of the belt would attach too is brazed on as you can see the "gold" colour under dirt etc, the two prongs, are also brazes onto the tube? however they have gone greenwith corrosion. I can't see a maker on the actual buckle, like the WW2 ones, but the eyes aren't as good as they were.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Grant
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Helmet and belt   WW1 German Helmet and belt  

WW1 German Helmet and belt  

Hi Grant, I just wanted to check that the ctach had not been repaired at some point and that the tab was on the right way, normally the makers mark was put facing the front of the buckle but some makers did have them facing to the rear, its hard to say without having the buckle in hand, the buckle is fine I just wanted to look at them points
    Ben

No worries Ben,

Always happy to help when ever I can. I wasn't too worried about it being a fake, but if you take into account I have had for 40 odd years, it only brings you to the 60's and I suppose they were putting out copies of stuff back then as well.

I see what you mean about the tab being the wrong way around, this is the reason we post this stuff, to learn from the experts.........

Cheers from hot Australia,

Grant

Grant your helmet is indeed an M17 model, readily identified by its steel banded liner.
    M16 helmets were first produced with leather banded liners & later produced with steel banded liners, the term M17 refers to the liner band, the helmet shell remained the same during this transition. It would of been fitted with 3 off white leather pads affixed to the band (these are readily available, you could restore). Si 66 is the manufacturer & shell size markings. Si being ' Eisenhutte Schlesien, Paruschowitz/Oberschlesien',this maker made M16 in sizes 62,64 & 66, they also made the M18. The other markings i take are in the inside of the dome & are accountability numbers refering to specific steel batches from which the piece of steel came from before it was struck. Hope that helps.

Oradour,

Many thanks for the information, much appreciated. Yes the other numbers were from the inside of the dome. I think I still have the broken leather liner bits, but I think they were a light brownish colour, could have been sweat or the years of dirt etc. Intersting about getting replacements, and hints on where?

Cheers,

Grant

No problem Grant, The Prarie Flower Company, Prairie Flower Leather Company they are in the U.S.A. they post worldwide, check out there products, follow the link 'Militaria'. I have used them & found them to be friendly & their products are quality.

Dear fellows,

the leather of German WWI liners can show justabout every shade possible, from almost white to dark brown. Good used ones can even look black.

Yours,

Olaf

Hi Grant, both are nice original items.

I would put the emphasis on the word original here. By replacing the liner you would be taking away that asspect that we all like to see, untouched, un-messed with items.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast