Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German helmet chinstrap.....original?

Article about: I just received this "authentic" WW1 chinstrap in the mail to attach to my pickelhaube. I am a bit skeptical as the whether it a period piece. It looks too new and it is still quit

?

Default WW1 German helmet chinstrap.....original?

I just received this "authentic" WW1 chinstrap in the mail to attach to my pickelhaube. I am a bit skeptical as the whether it a period piece. It looks too new and it is still quite supple. What do you think? Should I return it and get my $50 back? Many thanks for your comments.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German helmet chinstrap.....original?   WW1 German helmet chinstrap.....original?  

WW1 German helmet chinstrap.....original?   WW1 German helmet chinstrap.....original?  

WW1 German helmet chinstrap.....original?  

Default Re: WW1 German helmet chinstrap.....original?

yep,,,i would try to return it and get your money back

?

The only thing i can compare this one with is my original which has stitching to secure the ends together around the buckles, yours are riveted, mine is dated . I would suggest that there should be a makers name,mine is Otto Koch Co/ 1917 Berlin, i cannot see any dates on yours but thats no sure proof of copy, because of the rivets im thinking copy but there may be other makers who used this method, it appears that it has been on a haub before due to the marks on the leather towards the centre, the leather looks period but there are fakes of these, i would suggest that Oradour should comment on this

?

Quote by militarymania View Post
    yep,,,i would try to return it and get your money back
    Ditto.

Pablo, this is an "Authentic" reproduction...when one sees the word "authentic", one should not confuse it with the word "Original" ! this is used by sellers to give a sense of confidence to the would be buyer and to me merely means "the correct type" as for example, the G.I, Joe doll wears an "authentic" style uniform.......back to the strap !
    It is too thick, too new in overal condition,and it would be exceptional for an "Original" to be so supple ! however it is a good reproduction and would do as a filler, as confirmed originals (of which some are marked with either mm or date, many are not) are in the region of around $125-150 these days. I have seen original straps with "rivits". The thickness of the leather reminds of the "Priare Flower" make, which is to me the best copy around for the money, but its thickness lets it down. I do not like the metalware on this strap, it looks to be cast where as originals were crisply stamped. But for the money, its a credible filler. A good copy will cost you $35-50.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Many thanks for your comments. I really wanted an "original" chinstrap to compliment my original pickelhaube which I had posted earlier. Although the chinstrap would look nice on my pickelhaube, it would be like a woman with a fake boob job.....nice to look at, but you know something's not right.

Steve is right-I've seen these advertised years ago as "replacement chinstraps" to complete a spike helmet who's strap has crumbled. If I remember right,these first started showing up in the late 60's to early 70's right about the time that the original straps were beginning to fall to bits. This would explain the "aged but not aged Enough" look that this one has. Good luck finding an original in still decent shape. The leather on these are now approaching the 100 year plus mark,so you may have a Very difficult time locating one that's been especially oiled and cared for all these years. Chances are,if you Do,it's still hanging on another helmet! William