Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW1 German helmet sniper shield

Article about: What would be the best way to clean it up.It was found last month in Meuse Argonne in the village of Romagne-sous-montfaucon.

Default Re: WW1 German helmet sniper shield

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    I was very happy that day.One of my friend from the village came by the same field a hour later to look for relics,I told him what I had found tryed to buy it from me but no way.
    cricketchris1944, he is not the only one, i'd buy it from you !.....keep us informed on how you are getting on with it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German helmet sniper shield
    P
    Many

Oradour maybe one day I will sell it but not for years from now.Maybe I will find another one ,on my next trip to Meuse Argonne.(I do not think that will happen) I spent a extra 2 days in that field llooking for the body armor that goes with it but no luck finding it.

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Hi, one of the most comon methods is to dip the helmet in a bath of oxalic acid for several hours, but i dont know if the shell is in a fragil state or not, wait for the opinions of the experts on this.
    Best of luck with helmet shield. its really cool.
    Best regards
    Nuno
    To be honest, after working in the chemical industry for over 20 years, I try to avoid using acid. Any acid can be dodgy to the unwary or careless. Far better to soak it in a mixture of parrafin and oil, then give it a scrub with fine wire-wool or a nail brush. Some will recoil in horror at the thought of using wire-wool, but if you are careful it will be fine. I usually give a coat of beeswax polish (not the spray type) to all the surface and buff up after an hour or so. I must stress that this is a method I have used for many years, but others would probably tell you not to use it!

Harry.

Harry.Thank you for the great info.

As said in an other topic; what a great find Chris! You amaze me what there still is 2 be found

WW1 German helmet sniper shieldWW1 German helmet sniper shieldWW1 German helmet sniper shieldWW1 German helmet sniper shield
    Quote by Shenkie View Post
    As said in an other topic; what a great find Chris! You amaze me what there still is 2 be found
    I did not clean it too much.

Looks really great Chris Thanks for sharing

Quote by Shenkie View Post
    Looks really great Chris Thanks for sharing
    Thank you.That is one item that I never tought I would find.

?

I really like what you have done there chris, and it looks great on the helmet, very lucky find , i still yhink you have golden appedages with the amount of items you find, cheers dave

Quote by davejb View Post
    I really like what you have done there chris, and it looks great on the helmet, very lucky find , i still yhink you have golden appedages with the amount of items you find, cheers dave
    Thank you ,Yes a lucky find ,luckier than you think a houre after I was finish with that field a friend look for relics in the same field.You just have to be there at the right time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast