Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

WW1 German helmet sniper shield

Article about: What would be the best way to clean it up.It was found last month in Meuse Argonne in the village of Romagne-sous-montfaucon.

Default WW1 German helmet sniper shield

What would be the best way to clean it up.It was found last month in Meuse Argonne in the village of Romagne-sous-montfaucon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	046.jpg 
Views:	4374 
Size:	258.6 KB 
ID:	102190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	272.jpg 
Views:	909 
Size:	233.7 KB 
ID:	102191  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	273.jpg 
Views:	3105 
Size:	225.8 KB 
ID:	102192   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	274.jpg 
Views:	1395 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	102193  

Default Re: WW1 German helmet sniper shield

cricketchris1944,I take it this is your first post, welcome to the forum, looks like you have a nice example of a 'Stirnpanzer' a 2.5lb steel-nickel alloy helmet plate for the M16/17 and 18 Stahlhelm. Due to the material it is made of it should clean up nicely, i notice the strap attachment holes are corroded up, there should be some numbers on the inside, however due to corrosion/rust they may not be visible. There are plenty of members who should be able to advise over preservation, i dont personaly collect ground dug items, but there are plenty here who do. By the way, the Stirnpanzer was only issued for 5% of the available helmets, rare ! a super item.

Hi, one of the most comon methods is to dip the helmet in a bath of oxalic acid for several hours, but i dont know if the shell is in a fragil state or not, wait for the opinions of the experts on this.
    Best of luck with helmet shield. its really cool.
    Best regards
    Nuno

Thank you, yes I am new to the forum.looking to have some fun.I was a good day finding this item last month have put it on a helmet but still need to clean it.

cricketchris1944
    PS still working on how to use the forum.

Question Re: WW1 German helmet sniper shield

there was a posting on another site about on using an anode/cathode combination immersed in a solution free the rust from the iron,,,

The shell is in very good condition ,just has alot of rust on it.

Cricketchris1944, take a look in the ' Restoration & Refurbishing ' section of the forum, plenty of tips/procedures explained by the lads in there for dealing with corroded/rusty items.

Oradour, I will do that .Thank you

Fantastic find , very rare item to discover , your a lucky man , well done , cheers Raymond

I was very happy that day.One of my friend from the village came by the same field a hour later to look for relics,I told him what I had found tryed to buy it from me but no way.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast