Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

WW1 German helmet sniper shield

Article about: What would be the best way to clean it up.It was found last month in Meuse Argonne in the village of Romagne-sous-montfaucon.

Default WW1 German helmet sniper shield

What would be the best way to clean it up.It was found last month in Meuse Argonne in the village of Romagne-sous-montfaucon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German helmet sniper shield   WW1 German helmet sniper shield  

WW1 German helmet sniper shield   WW1 German helmet sniper shield  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 German helmet sniper shield
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1 German helmet sniper shield

cricketchris1944,I take it this is your first post, welcome to the forum, looks like you have a nice example of a 'Stirnpanzer' a 2.5lb steel-nickel alloy helmet plate for the M16/17 and 18 Stahlhelm. Due to the material it is made of it should clean up nicely, i notice the strap attachment holes are corroded up, there should be some numbers on the inside, however due to corrosion/rust they may not be visible. There are plenty of members who should be able to advise over preservation, i dont personaly collect ground dug items, but there are plenty here who do. By the way, the Stirnpanzer was only issued for 5% of the available helmets, rare ! a super item.

Hi, one of the most comon methods is to dip the helmet in a bath of oxalic acid for several hours, but i dont know if the shell is in a fragil state or not, wait for the opinions of the experts on this.
    Best of luck with helmet shield. its really cool.
    Best regards
    Nuno

Thank you, yes I am new to the forum.looking to have some fun.I was a good day finding this item last month have put it on a helmet but still need to clean it.

cricketchris1944
    PS still working on how to use the forum.

Question Re: WW1 German helmet sniper shield

there was a posting on another site about on using an anode/cathode combination immersed in a solution free the rust from the iron,,,

The shell is in very good condition ,just has alot of rust on it.

Cricketchris1944, take a look in the ' Restoration & Refurbishing ' section of the forum, plenty of tips/procedures explained by the lads in there for dealing with corroded/rusty items.

Oradour, I will do that .Thank you

Fantastic find , very rare item to discover , your a lucky man , well done , cheers Raymond

I was very happy that day.One of my friend from the village came by the same field a hour later to look for relics,I told him what I had found tryed to buy it from me but no way.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast