Become our sponsor and display your banner here

WW1 German Meldal

Article about: HI all. Can someone see if this is real? Thanks.

Default WW1 German Meldal

HI all.

Can someone see if this is real?

Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 German Meldal   WW1 German Meldal  

WW1 German Meldal  

It's a Hindenburg Cross, instituted in 1934 and awarded to veterans of the Great War. There were three grades of this award: The cross for combatants; the cross for non-combatants and the cross for next of kin. Yours is the cross for non-combat veterans, and appears to be genuine.

The hook and pin mounting system is unusual to see on these awards, and in this case the setup looks very similar to the Anschluss and Sudetenland medals. Usually, these are found with a simple length of ribbon, with no mounting devices present.

I cannot comment on the ribbon bar, but it appears original as well.

All three grades of the Hindenburg Cross, in my own collection. Two show the typical length of ribbon. The third has been folded and stitched into place to form a crude triangle:

WW1 German MeldalWW1 German MeldalWW1 German Meldal

Regards, B.B.
    ''Everyday you think of living. We are born to die, but I appreciate life. We live day by day, and I always say: yesterday is history, today's reality, and tomorrow's a dream.' -- Henry Flescher, Holocaust Survivor -- March 14, 1924 - August 29, 2018

Agree with B.B.
    For me the ribbon bar is good.
    Santi