Become our sponsor and display your banner here

ww1 german, russian, french or........... shovel?

Article about: Hello friends, Here I'm again to search for your help.I have this shovel , I buyed it 3 or 4 years ago in a market near Rome.I think it's the Linnemann type, may be ww1 but there aren't mark

Default ww1 german, russian, french or........... shovel?

Hello friends,

Here I'm again to search for your help.I have this shovel , I buyed it 3 or 4 years ago in a market near Rome.I think it's the Linnemann type, may be ww1 but there aren't marks.
    So I can't say if it's german, french, russian, belgian bulgarian.....I have noticed that its ''ears'' are flat and not riveted or bent.....is this a sign that can help us to recognize it?
    Waiting for your support I thank you for your helpfullness and Always excuse me for my Scholastic english.
    Gabriele
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20150426-01017.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	832330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20150426-01016.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	104.2 KB 
ID:	832329  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20150426-01015.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	832328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20150426-01014.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	126.6 KB 
ID:	832327  

Does anybody have an idea?

SRB
    ?

some markings?

maybe austrian ww1 ......

No markings my friend.....I have two Austrian shovel and they have ''ears'' bent, markings and they are not rectangular but pointed .......May be a variant?

Anyway thank you for your helpfullness

?

Since it is riveted and not spot-welded, it is not WWII German. But there are plenty of photos out there showing WWII German soldiers using shovels just like this one. The Germans used lots of different captured shovels.

Thank you M422A1.So we have clear that it may be used in WW2 but it's WW1. ''The circle narrows''...... can we say that is WW1...but German?
    I think that the ears so flat ( i haven't seen ''in person'' or on Internet...but may be due to my ignorance) can tell us a lot.Anyway Thank you again my friend.

?

I think it is ww1, but not german. maybe romanian or other smaller country, that is copied german shovel

why not.....It's a right suspect....thank you my friend. Consider that the shovel has a profile very flat that may be you can't see in photo.

IMO it could be of Austro-Hungarian origin, I had one, mine was stamped "Linnemann 1917" .
    Prost ! Steve.
    "The German Army is the perfectly adapted, perfectly running Machine. The difference is that the Germans are organised with a view to War...with the cold, hard, practical and business-like purpose of winning victories."
    G.W. Steevens - The Daily Mail (1897)

Thank you Steve, beautiful!I have two other that are different ( markings tell me that they are Austrian)....so this is another austro hungarian in collection....different from the Others I have......Thank you again.