MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 German Sword Bayonet

Article about: Hello, I recently picked up a supposed German Sword Bayonet at a flee market near by. I was wondering if some of you kind members could provide insight on whether it is fake or not and it's

Zweihander38
    ?

Default WW1 German Sword Bayonet

Hello, I recently picked up a supposed German Sword Bayonet at a flee market near by. I was wondering if some of you kind members could provide insight on whether it is fake or not and it's history. If you need any more photos just ask.WW1 German Sword BayonetWW1 German Sword BayonetWW1 German Sword BayonetWW1 German Sword BayonetWW1 German Sword BayonetWW1 German Sword Bayonet

2. # ADS

Default Re: WW1 German Sword Bayonet

A very nice original model 98/05 seitengewehr (Bayonet), looks to be an A/a (Alter art, old style) model, which had no flashguard fitted, this model of bayonet was later shortened and fitted with an all metal scabbard, this long model is known as the "Quillback". Its Regimentals "93.R.5.238." indicate "Anhaltisches Infanterie-Regt. Nr.93, 5th Company, 238th weapon" this Regiment was garrisoned at Dessau, the 2nd Battalion at Zerbst, it was part of IV Armee Korps. There should be an Imperial acceptance mark (crown over a number) on spine of the blade near to the handle, that should give the date of manufacture.
    Prost ! Steve.

Yes indeed. A very nice bayonet.

Anton

?

Not to be argumentative,but in my reference book it is an S98aA,that is if the blade length is 20.5 inches and OAL is 25.5 inches.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Zweihander38
    ?

Thank you all for the fast response and the information.

Welcome to the forum and very nice Bayo congrats.

Eric

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Not to be argumentative,but in my reference book it is an S98aA,that is if the blade length is 20.5 inches and OAL is 25.5 inches.
    Zwerge, you are quite right, it is aA (alter Art) NOT Aa,it was rather late last night when I answered the query, way past my bedtime !....however the "S" stands for seitengewehr, as far as I am aware the date is 98/05 (1898/1905), however I was not quoting from a book rather whats inside my head...apologies. The measurements you quote will be correct for Zweihander38's bayonet.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Hi Steve,the grips on this bayonet appear to 2 piece type which would mean it is an S98 nA as the S98 aA had one piece grips. There sure are a lot of variations of these bayonets....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Very nice find......................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Indeed it is!
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris