Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?

Article about: I've been offered this M18 helmet. Its made by ET (Eisenhüttenwerk), large size 68. I think everything is original, one thing that puzzles me is the colour - black, I thought they had only o

?

Default WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?

I've been offered this M18 helmet. Its made by ET (Eisenhüttenwerk), large size 68. I think everything is original, one thing that puzzles me is the colour - black, I thought they had only one colour - dark green ? looking it over at close quarters it appears to be the only paint colour on the helmet. Do members have any idea why its black? did some units have black helmets or could it have been used later by a Freikorp Unit perhaps? also near the stamp ET 68 is a stamp no.6 what's it mean ? Any information would be welcome.
    Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?   WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?  

WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?   WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?  

WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1 Helmet with a Puzzle ?

Early black SS helmet?? I have no idea. I suppose it's also possible that it was painted all black for a specific reason and it didn't go along with the main Camo colors with the black line separating the colors. I think it all looks good, I would pick it up depending on the price. What are they asking for it?

?

Thanks for the post - he wants 250 Euro

?

On my monitor the shot of the stamp makes the interior look dark green? I think 250 euro is ok, see if you can get him down to 200? A complete helmet with strap is not that common to my knowledge. As for the paint, I'm curious too,... If it was done post war I would guess that they would have retro-fitted the whole thing, liner/straps etc, so I think thats out. Your guess about Freikorps is interesting, that would be neat. I hope Steve Oradour can chime in!

I'd use the rough condition of the paint and the unknown origin of the black paint to try and beat the price down some. I'd jump on it for 150-200 euros. That would be worth the risk.

Could have been used by another country post-war, or possibly painted
    to prevent further spread of rust - although I do not actually see
    another layer of newer paint.

It's possible that it is a very worn camo lid that had a majority
    of black areas. Might be worth the price for the liner
    and chinstrap alone.........
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Thanks for the posts everyone,
    To give a clearer picture, the seller has three helmets to sell - M16 (450 Euro), M17 (300 Euro), M18 (300 Euro) all are complete with liners and chin-straps. I've taken the M16, the M17 is Landschutz has a faded white 18mm strip at the front, going on the top of the helmet and very little paint on it and this M18. The M16 price he won't move on, however because I'm willing to take two of the helmets together he's knocked 50 Euro off the price of M18 hence 250 Euro he won't go any lower. Another thought I had, the black colour was used by firemen between the wars for their helmets, but I think they would have replaced the liner with a eight finger type and placed a sponge cushion inside at the centre. Dealing with some of the points raised, where the stamping is and the whole of the inside there's no paint, I took the pictures in his cellar last night, its a trick of the light. I did ask him where he got it, (he's a hairdresser, in the shop window is a flyer asking for military pieces) a customer brought this one in and got cash and a free haircut. So I don't think from another country. I think I'll take them both, if it ends in tears, he's prepared to swap the M17 Landschutz helmet for this one. Thanks for the help.

?

Hell the liner and chinstrap are worth 250.

?

I would have to agree that it was possibly used by another country post war. I saw a helmet with the same paint scheme a few weeks ago that was brought back by the owner's father who served in Afghanistan or somewhere in the middle east, and apparently the militia they were fighting were using old german helmets as kit. Could be one of many possibilities.

All the best,
    Stefan

I'd like to see what the others looks like, for curiosity sake.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast