Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?

Article about: Hi I was wondering if the ribbon on the iron cross was repop or authentic.

?

Cool WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?

Hi I was wondering if the ribbon on the iron cross was repop or authentic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irongas 001.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	32240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	irongas 002.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	32241  

Default Re: WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?

Hi Kevin, it is not looking good from the pics.

If you have a blacklight (UV lamp) test it under the light. I suspect the white areas will glow neon blue showing it to be modern.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Kevin, I would have to agree with Ade, it appear to be a repo. A backlight test may tell you if it is a repo, but it would not tell you that it is 100% from that era (I have tested some ribbons which I know were repoís and they didnít glow).

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

How about burning them? If you light up one of the threads and they melt, then it is a repro. If it burns, then it is NOT a repro. That is what I was told is the surest way to tell.

Thumbs down Re: WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?

Hi Kevmo

Judging from these pictures I would say that this WWI EKII has a modern ribbon. Use a blacklight if you want to be absolutely sure...

Greetz

Nick VR

?

Any Idea of where I can find a authentic ribbon for this?

Hi Kevmo

A good place to start is ebay.de. Although I think it will be simpler if you yust buy a new EKII and sell the one you have. Or you can keep them both...

Greetz

Nick VR

An easy way to tell that I was tought by an EKII collector-is to simply rub both sides of the ribbon against each other and if feels real smooth-is original-if it feel a bit rough-it aint original.

Hope this helps?

?

The rubbing both sides of the ribbon against each other may work for newer original 1914 EKII ribbons, But not for 1870 or early WW 1 EK11 ribbons which were black ribbon with painted white lines( the painted lines would cause a drag). I have gotten a few good items off of E-bay, but when it comes to original ribbons, I need to hold them in my hand. I have posted a photo of an early 1914 EK II with a painted white line (notice some of the paint is off on the right side).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-EK II.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	32801  

Hi George, I too have some WWI EKis and also an 1870. The ribbon on my 1870 was replaced but probably arounf 1890-and definately before WWI. Most of my Imperial EK2s ribbons also have painted stripes on them. You can still gently rub the center of the ribbons together.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast