Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?

Article about: Hi I was wondering if the ribbon on the iron cross was repop or authentic.

?

Cool WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?

Hi I was wondering if the ribbon on the iron cross was repop or authentic.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?   WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?  

Default Re: WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?

Hi Kevin, it is not looking good from the pics.

If you have a blacklight (UV lamp) test it under the light. I suspect the white areas will glow neon blue showing it to be modern.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Kevin, I would have to agree with Ade, it appear to be a repo. A backlight test may tell you if it is a repo, but it would not tell you that it is 100% from that era (I have tested some ribbons which I know were repo’s and they didn’t glow).

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

How about burning them? If you light up one of the threads and they melt, then it is a repro. If it burns, then it is NOT a repro. That is what I was told is the surest way to tell.

Thumbs down Re: WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?

Hi Kevmo

Judging from these pictures I would say that this WWI EKII has a modern ribbon. Use a blacklight if you want to be absolutely sure...

Greetz

Nick VR

?

Any Idea of where I can find a authentic ribbon for this?

Hi Kevmo

A good place to start is ebay.de. Although I think it will be simpler if you yust buy a new EKII and sell the one you have. Or you can keep them both...

Greetz

Nick VR

An easy way to tell that I was tought by an EKII collector-is to simply rub both sides of the ribbon against each other and if feels real smooth-is original-if it feel a bit rough-it aint original.

Hope this helps?

?

The rubbing both sides of the ribbon against each other may work for newer original 1914 EKII ribbons, But not for 1870 or early WW 1 EK11 ribbons which were black ribbon with painted white lines( the painted lines would cause a drag). I have gotten a few good items off of E-bay, but when it comes to original ribbons, I need to hold them in my hand. I have posted a photo of an early 1914 EK II with a painted white line (notice some of the paint is off on the right side).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Iron Cross real ribbon?  

Hi George, I too have some WWI EKis and also an 1870. The ribbon on my 1870 was replaced but probably arounf 1890-and definately before WWI. Most of my Imperial EK2s ribbons also have painted stripes on them. You can still gently rub the center of the ribbons together.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast