Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW1 spike helmet

Article about: Hello, saw this guy at a gun show recently and was wondering if it looks ok and when and whom made. Still have a chance to buy it, \\$1,000 to \\$1200 CDN. I know nothing about these helmets but

Default WW1 spike helmet

Hello, saw this guy at a gun show recently and was wondering if it looks ok and when and whom made. Still have a chance to buy it, $1,000 to $1200 CDN. I know nothing about these helmets but always wanted one. I don't need any in depth study on it as I have done none.

In hand the chin strap is soft and looks new to me. Thanks for any help.WW1 spike helmetWW1 spike helmetWW1 spike helmetWW1 spike helmetWW1 spike helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 spike helmet
    P
    Many

I'm no expert but the drawstring,and chin strap are new. The cockades
    are repainted or are new replacements. With all this being done, it makes me wonder
    if the leather liner is original to the helmet. IMO $1000 is a lot of money for a
    helmet with this many issues.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

An M15 EM Baden. Rarer than the more common Prussian lids but no unicorn by any means. Liner string can be binned immediately, the CS, if a repro as it looks can be replaced by a genuine one but you're looking at $150-250, the Baden kokade needs a closeup inspection both inside and out. If that is a repro also then that will be more difficult (and expensive) to find.

Given the shortfalls pointed out, $1000-1200 might be a little pricey.

$1000? Much better can be found...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Better photo I took at the show.

Last one is the other one he had, looks also replaced chinstrap.

WW1 spike helmetAttachment 1068190WW1 spike helmet

Sorry I-phone pics, they loaded like this.

It was quite some time ago, as I recall, that the replica chinstraps began to show up in the hobby. At the time, it was generally accepted to use them, since the originals are usually long since gone. They are, after all, just what amounts to being a thin leather belt that is over 100 years old and near impossible these days to find in still pliable condition. But, the times are changing again, and the purists are demanding original or nothing and so the collector has a decision to make.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

How much for the Prussian? Looks over polished on the brass and the CS is a repro as you state so unless there are some really cool stamps under the rear visor, it is real cheap or for some reason you just love it, I'd be walking away.

$1500 CDN, inside pic.

WW1 spike helmet

For an M95 EM Prussian with no liner?? There's not even a base plate for the spike! That is ridiculous! $600-700 might be nearer the mark. I'm not home right now but I'll PM you later with a contact selling out of much of his collection, maybe there is something there you'll like.

Wow, forget the internet watch for the crap at the shows! Thanks

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast