Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Stahlhelm?

Article about: Hello all, spotted this for sale yesterday relatively cheap but looks like it's been recently painted over in grey paint. Liner is missing too and looks like it's been replaced with a Britis

Default WW1 Stahlhelm?

Hello all,

spotted this for sale yesterday relatively cheap but looks like it's been recently painted over in grey paint. Liner is missing too and looks like it's been replaced with a British Mk2 liner. Inside looks like it's been painted black and the heat stamp says TJ68. I've been trying to unearth a list of the steel mill that may have produced it but have had no luck so far.

Any opinions on it gentleman? It's going for £70. Is it worth trying to get that paint off and restoring/saving? I've always loved these helmets since reading 'All Quiet on the Western Front' as a kid!

WW1 Stahlhelm?WW1 Stahlhelm?WW1 Stahlhelm?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Stahlhelm?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1 Stahlhelm?

Here is a similar (solid!) one, with a thick layer of paint at 45 euro!
    http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/33085139...84.m1558.l2649
    cheers
    |<ris
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Cheers Kris,

why do people have to splash paint over them!? Such a shame.

Looks OK to me and a large size as well. The paint can be removed fairly easily. The price seems OK too, it is what I paid for my helmet (Quist 66) last year. It too was covered in thick paint, now removed down to the grey metal shell. You could, afterwards, restore it, or just leave it, as I have done with my helmet.

Attachment 448038Attachment 448039

The TJ shows that the helmet was manufactured by the C. Thiel & Sons company based in Lubeck, northern Germany. The 68 size is a rare size too.

Regards, Alex

Hello Alexander,

you've done a good job there too. What did you use to remove the paint? Assuming the helmet I've seen is overpainted with a similar oil-based paint.

I took my helmet to a furniture restorer who placed it in a tank of paint remover for 24 hours. Cost me about £10. Saved me plenty of elbow grease!!

?

Did it also remove the original paint underneath ?????

I'd want it cheaper than £70 personally. Also regarding the British liner. They are fitted at the crown typically, make sure a hole has not been drilled in the shell. That would further reduce the value.

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Hello Alexander,

you've done a good job there too. What did you use to remove the paint? Assuming the helmet I've seen is overpainted with a similar oil-based paint.
    That explains why your helmet is kind of "black"!
    To remove paint from most furniture, sodium hydroxide, also known as lye or caustic soda is used! That "burn's" metal and it become black, the should have neutralized it with vinegar.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Yes personally I'd prefer to remove the paint layer by layer to see what's underneath if possible, you never know what you might find. Good point Kradspan, I had a close look at the photograph and couldn't see any signs of drilling in the crown. Doesn't mean there isn't though. Maybe £70 is too much for this. Cheers fellas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast