Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW1 Tank Badge?

Article about: I have just been given/swapped this badge. I have my doubts as I am sure these are as faked as WW2. The issue is this pal insists it was his Grandfathers. Now I don't want to hurt his feelin

Default WW1 Tank Badge?

I have just been given/swapped this badge. I have my doubts as I am sure these are as faked as WW2.

The issue is this pal insists it was his Grandfathers.

Now I don't want to hurt his feelings as his intentions are good.

He has in the past given me some WW2 stuff that was not right but he is generaly not aware.

I would like to hear what the forums opinion on it is please.

Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Tank Badge?   WW1 Tank Badge?  

WW1 Tank Badge?   WW1 Tank Badge?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WW1 Tank Badge?
    P
    Many

Default Re: WW1 Tank Badge?

Phil,

Its probably down to my photography, it is a lighter colour but in keeping with the badge when you have it in the hand. It is devoid of any maker marks. I could speak to some REME punters and see if they have a measuring device for the thread. I don't have high hopes but you never know. It only cost an old combat jacket so I'm not too worried.
    Thanks Jock

Hi jock auld, i would say it is a reproduction, it appears a little rough around the edges, and in my opinion a little too new in appearance, their has been a lot of these badges on e-bay of late, all in Germany, selling for approx £8-£28, there is one on as i speak. Do you know that although mooted as a WW1 award they were actually awarded/issued from 1923 ! to veterans.

Hi Jock
    Here is a close up of the detail on a real one

I think you can see the differences Looks to me like that one is a reproduction
    Last edited by John Brandon; 06-30-2010 at 05:57 PM.

Hi, the Tank Badge is a very rare Kampfwagen-Erinnerungsabzeichen (Tank Memorial Badge.
    Published in the year 1921 by Warminister Gessler for members of the tank crews in WW I.
    The badge was given to 99 men. The item is worth about 1500 Euro.
    For further information see the german Wikipedia " Kampfwagen-Erinnerungsabzeichen ":
    Google Image Search
    =http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/db/Kampfwagen-Erinnerungsabzeichen.jpg/180px-Kampfwagen-Erinnerungsabzeichen.jpg&imgrefurl=http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kampfwagen-Erinnerungsabzeichen&usg=__9hwg7H6PvsVtkcp4unFHoeo hp2A=&h=248&w=180&sz=15&hl=de&start=35&um=1&tbnid= ZHcX7EGGYspR1M:&tbnh=111&tbnw=81&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dav7%2Babzeichen%26ndsp%3D20%26hl%3Dde %26sa%3DN%26start%3D20%26um%3D1

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

The info you quote is correct up to a point.

However, the badge shown is not an original. There are no originals known with a screwback fitting. The material the badge is made from is not correct either.

The badge was a private purchase item. The Veteran had to buy the badge at his own expence. Originals can be found in hollow back or a plated over back. All had various pin fittings.

Cheers, Ade.

Guys,

Thanks for the info, I thought it would be quite rare and expensive if it was right, either way it would not be right to keep it, If its right it belongs in his family if its wrong then he's pulling a fast one and I will have to hurt his feelings, I suppose he could believe it is right as a lot of the old boys over here often buy copies which to them are the real deal. I might nip it up to the Panzer museum at Munster and let them give it the once over.

Thanks again, Jock

Sorry, but the badge is absolutely without a doubt - fake. This is part of a series of Imperial badges that feature the same type details with a screw attachment. The bow is wrong among other things. I have also seen Bavarian and Prussian flight badges that are made the same way. The detail is simply not there.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

copy, see them all the time on Ebay. Ferg1

?

Hi Jock, I have just joined this is my first message, I collect WW1 medals badges do you still have this badge?, it looks interesting do you sell badges? Please let me know. Thanks. Bob.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast