Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Trench Art Dog Collar for The Front Line

Article about: Hi So today I picked up some items from an old farmhouse in rural NSW Australia and the owner told me his dad who fought in WW1 brought these back from his tour. The owner was a little vague

?

Default WW1 Trench Art Dog Collar for The Front Line

Hi

So today I picked up some items from an old farmhouse in rural NSW Australia and the owner told me his dad who fought in WW1 brought these back from his tour. The owner was a little vague as he was elderly but he said they made these for their frontline working dogs.
    I googled such and am still researching but to yet no avail.

My question would be has anyone seen or know of these or similar, any information would be greatly appreciated.

Haven’t seen any examples before but sounds quite plausible that it may have been a ratting collar with the spikes provided to protect the vulnerable areas of the dogs neck. We have two German Schnauzer dogs and this breed are known as ratters. Traditionally their beards were grown long and thick to protect the mouth etc.

Here’s a photo I found of a successful WW1 ratter.

Andrew

?

I've been searching all day but didn't even think of the rats plague throughout the wars. Thanks for that.
    It also came with a body support that I would assume that was used to hold things on top of it which I have found images of.
    I know this type was used Europe for guard dogs protecting flocks but their collars are 360 degrees spiked, this one is only half.
    Similar were also used in the Victorian era for weaning calves from their mothers but this one is too small for a cow and it has a lead as well, as well as the back support mentioned.
    I'll keep looking.

It's the sort of thing a century ago in Europe (and also Turkey I believe) they would put around the neck of sheep dogs to protect the dog in a wolf attack. Quite possibly a pick up from Europe. Then again the weaned calf spur is quite probable when I think of it. It would jab the cow when trying to suckle, so the cow would reject the calf.

?

Yes I was thinking the same Anderson.
    But there is a lead and a back support which renders my thinking a little wayward.

The strap length would seem too long for a dog neck , but right for a calf.