Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wwi em spiked helmet

Article about: Hi all, I’m after some opinions on this Imperial EM spiked helmet. The chinstrap and buckles are obviously reproductions and the spike base is missing a pin. I’m a little perplexed with

Default Wwi em spiked helmet

Hi all,

I’m after some opinions on this Imperial EM spiked helmet. The chinstrap and buckles are obviously reproductions and the spike base is missing a pin. I’m a little perplexed with the rough leather on the front visor as this effect Ive most often encountered on the rear visor. Due to the condition of the shell I feel the cockades may not be original to the helmet. Interior looks nice and original, is stamped but could do with some minor restoration to the loose bit of leather.

I feel that this one might be a bit cobbled together but would welcome any opinions.

Thanks,
    Andy

Wwi em spiked helmetWwi em spiked helmetWwi em spiked helmetWwi em spiked helmetWwi em spiked helmet
    Last edited by AndyM35; 06-05-2020 at 10:42 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wwi em spiked helmet
    P
    Many

The wear to the inside looks quite convincing but the exterior looks like it's a modern copy. I can't see anyone placing such an ugly chinstrap onto an original Pickelhaube.

BlackCat, I know what you mean. I don’t know enough about these to know much but my gut feeling says the components are not all original to the helmet.

Thanks for the comments.
    Andy

I'm no expert but the only issue I see with this one is the cheap
    reproduction chin strap.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thanks Greg! Yes, the chinstrap is bad but with a nice original one this could be OK. I believe that some of the straps that went into the steel helmets were ex haube straps. Still hard to find though.

?

Different leather will react differently when stored in humid conditions . I think its all real but someone has got a bit carried away with the black polish. Rob

?

Not a Haubemister myself, But it looks OK to me. The slight shrinkage has caused a gap between the brass visor trim and the leather, The rear airvent also has the same spaceing seen on mine and others viewed. Looking at the inside/liner area everything looks exactly like my M1895 Baden haube. The Kokardes have age and look original. I have seen the krinkle on visors of others. Not sure of the cause.

But they do make excellent reproduction and also currently used by south american countries.
    So just my 2 centavos on the matter.

Possibly send Leon a PM and have him take a look. Now he is Das Huabemister!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks for the replies Kryton and Phil.

My main concern was how the front visor was so dried compared to the main body but it does happen. I have the exact same on one of my other Haubes.

Will try contacting Leon.

It's still a cool helmet, I would love to have it myself.

?

Your quite welcome Sir!
    May I ask how the wappen is attached?

A loop with leather retaining strip or with the wappen threaded stud and a nut?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast