Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Article about: Hi guys, My latest trench knife :-) ERN mm and imperial stamped . The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/ Unfortunately the tip is broken ! I

Default Non-fixable bayonet styled Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie trench knife.

Greetings all,

This week a bayonet styled, but non-fixable Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Cie (WKC) knife with a 155mm long blade. There is no mortised slot in the bird’s head pommel nor is the push button functional. These also came in a similarly styled, but fixable and fully functional bayonet variant too. The WKC company is still making quality military blades today see here Military Swords, sabers production by WKC Solingen, Germany, since 1883

Regards,

Lance

Double click on picture to enlarge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    P
    Many

Default Another Eickhorn non-fixable private purchase trench knife variant.

Greetings all,

Another non-fixable private purchase offering from Eickhorn, with a 150mm long blade and a black painted finish on the pommel. No mortised slot in the handle and the mounting button (on the other side) is purely ornamental. It would of originally possessed a leather washer at the ricasso’s base, but it has been lost to time. But hey, at least the scabbard is not roached out.

Regards,

Lance

Double click picture to enlarge.

?

Here is my only example that would not fall into the "common" category. Not the best photos.

CCMJR

Attachment 710694That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread  

Default Nicker, Knicker, Nickfänger, and Genickfänger: The traditional hunting knife goes to war

Greetings all,

This week we have a 100mm bladed “knicker,” a small hunting knife originally designed to finish off a wounded deer by cutting the top/back of the neck. These knives came in many styles and sizes. They make an excellent and compact working knife whilst a soldier is in the field. They surely have cut more meals apart than human enemies, but as they could be easily tucked in a boot or pocket, they found their way into the trenches too. These are typically seen in early war’s photographs as these knives are great for cutting wurst and cheese, but realistically do not hold up well to rough handling or extended hard use. This one is not maker marked, but instead is marked by its retailer “Albertini” out of Munich. In a few months when I am back in Germany, I will attempt to see what is on the street there now (Google’s Maps was not too helpful, as far as a decent street’s view).

Regards,

Lance

Double click pictures to enlarge.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

My example of a Knicker. Unmarked - perhaps the
    maker's mark is worn off. A well used, excellent
    quality knife.........
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread  
    Regards,

Steve.

Good evening,

I like to share another one of my knives and use it to gather some more information if possible. This is a 42er Deutsche Brummer private purchase knife without any maker markings. As I understand there were three periods in history where these we're sold. One during World War 1, in the 1930s and one in I think the 80s. Does anyone know if and how these might be distinguished? I've also not seen this type of sheath (with the well known snow flake), does anyone have any information about this type of sheath?

Best regards,

Sven

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

?

Hello Sven
    Yes your knife is private purchase WW1 J.H.Becker? the shell '42' is in reference to the siege mortars that destroyed the Belgium forts 1914. The steel sheath is a variation of the hunting leather example., nice thank you for showing.

Eric

Default Austrian Hunting/Utility Combination Tool Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

This week a private purchased offering from a Vienna based retailer with a multi-tool-esque handle. The blade is 135mm long and unfortunately the tweezers and other pieces that fit into the handle have been lost to time. The pictured German soldiers are wearing similar, but not exactly the same type of knife. This is another pre-war style of hunting/utility knife, which were widely available. This design is precursor of the later WWII designs as viewed here WWII German Combination Tool Trench Knife variants

Regards,

Lance

Double click on picture to enlarge.

Some of the "Knickers" in my collection.
    The second from the top was brought from Germany in 1954 by my father when they came to Canada. This Knicker was used to skin all of the rabbits that I raised when I was young.
    It is well used and has been sharpened often. The maker's mark is unreadable. This piece is 18 cm long with the handle being 10 cm.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Those are some really neat looking pieces.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast