Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Article about: Hi guys, My latest trench knife :-) ERN mm and imperial stamped . The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/ Unfortunately the tip is broken ! I

Milenko Aleksandri
    ?

2. # ADS

Default Flame-Point “War Hero” Knife.

Greetings all,

Many apologies for my lack of posting activities on this thread, I have been busy with my move back to Germany and getting settled at my new job. It is amazing how little personal time I have now; as such, my posting efforts have obviously taken a serious hit. My new knives’ postings will be once a month instead of weekly.

This week we have a post-World War I knife made for tourist and or commemorative purposes. The knife is one of the more odd-ball variants out there. It has a flame-point, serrated back edge, stag grips, and the 233mm long blade has Kriegsheld “War Hero” acid etched on to it. Though chock full of gimmicks, it is not a particularly useful knife, as it is of light construction and would break under field use conditions. But if you wanted to have something to impress the Grandkids on your “war” exploits, this knife possesses all of the bells and whistles necessary to impress young minds. Unfortunately, as a post-war construct; I have not seen any accompanying pictures of the knife’s contemporary use to add to this post.

Regards,

Lance

P.S. It would appear, that a similar styled Fliegermesse "flyer's knife" was offered in a Steinen & Cie catalogue in 1915. So, this design is not a 'Post-war" item as I at first surmised. Here's the webpage, which provided this new information, it is most definitely worth a look if you enjoy WWI German Knives https://www.facebook.com/Grabendolch-2199151250309475/ And too, that webpage possesses a nice period advertisement of the Fliegermesse variant of the below knife.

Double click to enlarge the picture.

Last edited by MilitariaOne; 12-21-2017 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Updated Information

Hi Lance,
    Good to have you back :-)
    And better once a month than never !!

Mfg
    Marc

Default Not your usual “Crank-Handled” trench knife.

Greetings all,

Here is this month’s entry, while very similar in profile to the EB1 (DEMAG Crank-Handle) Bayonet; this variant is quite different when you take a closer look. The EB1’s blade has only two attaching points to hold it to the handle, this knife has three. Additionally, this wooden handled blade’s tang runs the full length of the handle, whereas the EB1’s does not.

While the knife does at first glance look like an EB1 Knife Bayonet, it is a completely differing blade’s style and method of manufacture. I do not know which company actually manufactured them, some authors allude to the Leopold Company in Gefrees (Northern Bavaria) and others make the obvious leap to DEMAG in Duisburg. The unmarked blade is 139mm in length and there are no “fracture marks” evident.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on image to enlarge.

Hi Lance,
    That is a beautiful knife ;-)
    I've never seen this type before.

Mfg
    Marc

?

Its great to see you here again. I missed reading your informative post and of course drooling over your excellent fighting knives and period pic's!!!!
    Welcome Back
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Default Paul Seilheimer, Solingen, Leupold styled variant.

Greetings all,

Here’s another manufacturer marked Leupold styled variant with a 150mm blade. Forum member Reibert has already kindly listed out the names of the various known manufactures of this syled knife here Armeedolch, maker: Robert Herder so, there’s no need for me to repeat his efforts.

See you next month!

Regards,

Lance

Double click on picture to enlarge.

Default A two-war Anton Wingen Jr. Knife?

Greetings all,

Posting one day early (for May) as I will be attending the Plzen Liberation Festival | D-Day / V-Day | From Normandy up to Pilsen tomorrow hosting a U.S. M24 Chaffee Tank being statically displayed there. (@ the Czech Army’s Army shooting stadion Lobzy). Unfortunately, we won't be able to run it in Sunday's parade, as we did not recive permission to do so, until after the parade's registration process had closed.

A bit of a twist this month, a pretty standard (non-fixable) A. Wingen Jr. trench knife with a blade measuring 149mm and a wholly decorative press button, but with what appears to be a U.S. Army WWII Army Service Number/name on a replacement scabbard (which came with the knife’s purchase). Not able to find the gentleman’s name on the NARA website, but that’s not a new experience. Could be a bring-back WWI knife then carried by a decedent (i.e. a Son) or may simply be a knife belonging to an inter-war German immigrant, who then similarly passed it off to a relative or an acquaintance. The name appears to be George Koehler A.S.N. #36861490. It would be pretty interesting to find out how this knife wound up in this particular replacement sheath, but that’s what keeps the hobby interesting.

Cheers,

Lance

Double click on photo to enlarge.

Default A re-handled in stag Robert Herder “Leupold” Style Trench Knife

Greetings all,

Many apologies for my extended absence, “work” has been quite busy of late and as such, my posting efforts’ have greatly suffered. This installment, is a 146mm bladed Robert Herder trench knife, which has at some point been re-handled with a stag’s horn grip (originally, this knife would have looked exactly as the Robert Herder knife in post #42 appears). While not an amateurish re-fit job as many seem to be, it is not up to what one would expect in terms of quality-fit from a genuine factory-made piece. Surely, many knives lost their original wooden handles due to neglect or hard usage. And too, putting on some decent stag grips would add a touch of panache to an otherwise dull-looking knife.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on image to enlarge.

?

Quote by Scout View Post
    Good looking personalized knife with a bit of story to it.

Great pic as well with the raised dagger and another soldier with what looks like a HEBEL (?) flare gun stuck in his belt (can't see the opening mechanism for the belt).
    It can be a Hebel. The Austrians bought them from the Germans. I have one with Austrian proof marks.

CCMJR

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast