Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Article about: Hi guys, My latest trench knife :-) ERN mm and imperial stamped . The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/ Unfortunately the tip is broken ! I

Default 1914/1917 Dated Austrian “Trench Art” Knife made from a salvaged M95 Bayonet.

Merry Christmas, to all!

An early and comparatively small Christmas present to share today. This is an Austrian “trench art” styled knife. The knife is made from what appears to be the salvaged remnants of an Austrian M95 Bayonet’s blade. It possesses similar cast aluminum type handles, which appear on the knife shown in post #44. The crosspiece has the “CE” over “WG” mark on it, which indicates the bayonet this 100mm long blade’s section was salvaged from, was originally made at Oesterreichsche Waffenfabrik-Gesellschaft (Austrian State Weapons Manufacturing Company) in Steyr. This firm is still in business today, known simply as, Steyr. On the obverse of the crosspiece, there is a stamped letter “B.” I assume, this is a remnant of the bayonet’s original regimental ownership markings. On the “1917” dated side of the handle, you can see the bottom of an Austrian rifle shell’s casing head-stamped with “HP” for Hirtenberger Patronen-, Zündhütchen-und Metallwarenfabrik A.-G. - Hirtenberg, Niederdonau, Austria. No, it’s not an "amazing" trench knife, but it’s still pretty folk-artsy cool.

Unfortunately, I have no contemporary images of a similar knife to share to accompany this post. Lastly, I do hope Santa was good to you today!

V/r Lance

Double click on images to enlarge.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    P
    Many

Merry Christmas, Lance
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well Lance!
    Ralph.
    Last edited by rbminis; 12-25-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Merry Christmas to you Lance , and thanks for all the interesting knife posts ;-)

Mfg
    Marc

Default Omega, Solingen, Leupold styled variant.

Happy New Year All!

This time, we have another manufacturer marked Leupold trench knife; in this case, Omega out of Solingen. Interestingly, the company is still located there. The blade measures 135mm, but was originally longer as the point has been re-tipped. Easy to come by these knives unmarked, it is the manufacturer marked ones that are a challenge to collect.

Happy Hunting in the New Year!

Regards,

Lance

P.S. I hope you enjoy the photo of the kid wearing one of these types knives as much as I do.

Double click on images to enlarge.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Happy New Year, Lance.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Happy new year Lance,
    And nice looking knife and photo of the kid .
    I saw another pic with a small hitler jugend boy with his mother, he wearing a Demag knife bayonet with metal handle ! I was too stingy to buy it, I regret that now :-(

MFG
    Marc

Quote by unimarc View Post
    Happy new year Lance,
    And nice looking knife and photo of the kid .
    I saw another pic with a small hitler jugend boy with his mother, he wearing a Demag knife bayonet with metal handle ! I was too stingy to buy it, I regret that now :-(

MFG
    Marc
    I saw it too, but did not buy it either.

V/r Lance

Exactly the one ;-)

Mfg
    Marc

Default A darkened hilt private purchase aufpflanzbarer grabendolch or “fixable trench knife.”

Greetings all,

This month (OK, I’m one day early ) we have an unmarked private purchased knife with a 159mm blade. This fixable to a rifle (i.e. bayonet) model comes in an all bright finished variant too, but this is the darkened hilted version. Note: The contemporary photo shows a variant without a press stud, but it is a similar type and close enough for our viewing purposes. There is some speculation amongst collectors that this example was manufactured by Pack, Ohliger & Co. GmbH (became Ernst Pack & Söhne in 1922) due to the off centered placement of fasteners used on the handles, which are notably similar to later Ernst Pack & Söhne marked products, but as we all know speculation is just a fancy word for guessing. Ah the eternal mysteries of militaria collecting they can almost make you want to stop collecting… NOT!!!

Happy Collecting!

Lance

P.S. BTW, the eagle is the second coolest Imperial Era patriotic coat/hat rack ever!

Double click the image to enlarge.

Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 ... LastLast