MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Article about: Hi guys, My latest trench knife :-) ERN mm and imperial stamped . The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/ Unfortunately the tip is broken ! I

Such great examples of knives you share with us each month. With every knife you post you raise my collecting targets... Cheers again sharing your collection with us.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    P
    Many

Greetings all,

As alluded to in post# 150 (in the P.S.), here's the coolest. It is on display at the Bavarian Army museum https://www.armeemuseum.de/en/

Me likey,

Lance

Default A Private Purchase Austrian Trench Knife made to look like an M1895 NCO Bayonet.

Greetings all,

This month we have an example of a private purchase and heavily modified Austrian M1917 Trench Knife, which has been made to appear similar to an M1895 NCO bayonet. The blade is 179mm in length, which is markedly shorter than a M1917. The accompanying contemporary picture (only) shows the aforementioned Mannlicher bayonet, as I have not viewed any period pictures of this particular knife. This same knife is pictured on page 91 of At Arm's Length Trench Clubs and Knives (it is the companion for the M1917 shown in post #15). I like the six lines cut into the wooden grip on each side, these lines in the grip were a popular modification to make the grips less slippery. Interestingly, the accompanying scabbard will not accept a full sized M1917 Sturmmesser’s blade. There are no visible maker marks left on the blade due to the modifications made to it and there is no mortise cut into the pommel (so it cannot be mounted on an actual rifle).

Regards,

Lance

Double click image to enlarge.

Excellent thread! Here's a few of mine.

1. Koeller EB2 with acceptance marking on crossguard and ricasso.

2. A functional private purchase s98nA style trench knife.

3. WKC with faux push button and no mortise slot.

4. Personalized eagle head trench knife.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Greetings all,

I have just been contacted by noted all-around military blade’s author Christian Méry as he is creating an updated volume of his WWI German Trench Knives book. However, this new work will not just cover WWI period knives, but German military knives from 1914 until the present time. Christian has asked if I would post a message for him on this thread.

Specifically, Christian requests that anyone who possesses period photos of German knives (1914 through the present) in use/carried by soldiers and is interested in sharing them for eventual publication, to please contact him directly (no need to cc me) at christianmery@wanadoo.fr in order to create a more holistic/cooperative work. Thank you, for your valuable time, patience, and understanding.

The Hunt Continues!

V/r Lance

Default Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co. Imitation Horn Handled Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

This month, a classic trench knife design with imitation deer horn handle (Hirshhornimitate) manufactured by Weyersberg Kirschbaum & Co., Solingen with a 159mm long blade. The handle is metal painted brown and textured to appear (somewhat) like deer’s antler. This exact styled knife was also manufactured by J.A. Henckels Zwillingswerk, Solingen as well (& marked as such, when made by them). These knives are usually found in pretty rough shape, as most were used well after WWI. Most examples I have encountered are loose at the cross guard and possess splitting where the handle joins the cross guard; both of these areas should be carefully reviewed when considering a purchase of one of these knives.

This month’s accompanying contemporary photo comes from fellow forum member Reibert and is from his original post here Postcard of a German Soldier with trench knife (see post #18). Thanks Mate!!!

Regards,

Lance

Double click images to enlarge.

Very nice Lance!
    Still looking for one of these myself.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Default Unmarked Imitation Horn Handled private purchase Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

Along last month’s motif; another imitation (Gutta-percha-like) horn handled knife with a 150mm blade. No manufacture’s or fraktur marks.

Cheers,

Lance

Double click image to enlarge.

Default book german knives

Hello
    In my new book on German daggers, I searched for information and pictures of knives and daggers German bayonets period 1914-1945.
    Photos of German soldiers with daggers.
    Thank you for your help.
    christianmery@wanadoo.fr

Default Friedr. Kottenhoff, Gevelsberg i. W. (FKG) Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

Yes, a few days early: This month (i.e. June) another beast of a knife; this knife is more of a shortened machete, than your standard German trench knife. At 295mm long, its sawbacked blade is handily the largest German trench knife currently in my collection. I believe this knife is trying to be a more useful field tool than your run of the mill German knicker. I think of it as a WWI German equivalent of a WWII American Woodsman’s Pal, useful for serious outdoors’ tasks, but also deadly as a weapon in its own right.

Interestingly, F.K.G. made everything from straight razors to (as pictured) trench clubs. The handle is steel brazed directly on to the blade’s tang and (the handle) was originally painted black. This knife’s scabbard fits perfectly into an S98/05 “Butcher Bayonet’s” leather frog and was the primary means of carry in the field.

It would appear during WWI, the Germans had their own version of a “Rambo” knife and decades before that movie was made. One look at a German trench raider armed with a F.K.G. trench club/knife combo and unless I have M1911 pistol handy, I think I’m returning with him to his trenches as a very-compliant prisoner of war. Unfortunately, I do not have any contemporary picture(s) to share of this knife being carried.

Regards,

Lance

Double click the image to enlarge.

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 26 ... LastLast