Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Article about: Hi guys, My latest trench knife :-) ERN mm and imperial stamped . The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/ Unfortunately the tip is broken ! I

Default Long Guard Leupold Variant Private Purchase Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

This month the annoyingly illusive, long guard Leupold trench knife. It is the knife pictured to the right (arrow pointing to the guard). For your visual comparison, I have placed an exact blade/handle matching short guard Leupold to the left. Both knives’ blades are 147mm long and are completely unmarked, I believe they were (both) manufactured by the same (unknown to me) firm.

I would surmise these long guard-ed variants were not as popular and therefore, rarer (than the short guard models) because they would appear to pose a significant “snagging” hazard while maneuvering in the confines of a trench system. Imagine, having to turn sideways in a trench whilst passing other troops and having one or the other end of this longer guard sticking out away from your belt. Perhaps, I am reading too much into why this long guard model was not as popular/common, it could very well be a cost issue or a wartime materials’ saving measure and nothing more interesting than that. In either case, it is well balanced and definitely gives a much surer feeling when gripped as compared to the short guard variant. There is little chance of your hand slipping onto the blade when using this knife. OK, enough informed speculation, time to get back to collecting!

Cheers,

Lance

P.S. Unfortunately, I’ve no accompanying period/contemporary picture(s) this month, as I have not viewed a clearly identifiable image (just a few “iffy” ones) of a long guard-ed Leupold trench knife being worn/carried. If you possess a contemporary image of one of these “unicorns” being carried, please feel free to post/share it.

Double click image to enlarge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    P
    Many

Hello, Attention, new knife copy DEMAG arrive and are sold on auction site on the germany. Not mark on the blade
    That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Default Kaiser Wilhelm II monogramed antler handled private purchase knife.

Greetings all,

This month, a knife with antler grip slabs on a 227mm long blade with a Kaiser Wilhelm II monogram located on the handle’s end cap. This is most likely a pre-WWI manufactured knife, because its ostentatious use of materials would have been viewed as excessive if made during the war. As Wilhelm II came to power in 1888, this knife could have been manufactured during a wide period of time, prior to WWI.

That all being said, at least one of these knives is in the collection of an Australian museum as being captured from a German officer during WWI. I wish I kept the online travelogue’s blog entry where I first viewed that knife’s story, but alas I did not. While this knife design is practical enough, I believe it is more akin to a piece of fancy jewelry or a high-end accessory than something of daily use. In other words, due to this knife’s quality/cost this is not a knife you readily allow someone to borrow in order to hack open an ammo crate.

The accompanying contemporary picture shows a similar style of knife being carried by Herman G. during WWI (i.e. before the putsch, drug addiction, and war criminality). That is how I envision this month’s knife being used as an extra-seitengewehr of sorts, something to impress folks at home when on leave or out of the line. Showy accessory or not, it's still a pretty cool knife.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on images to enlarge.

Quote by militariaone View Post
    [SIZE=4]Greetings all,

This month, a knife with antler grip slabs on a 227mm long blade with a Kaiser Wilhelm II monogram located on the handle’s end cap. This is most likely a pre-WWI manufactured knife, because its ostentatious use of materials would have been viewed as excessive if made during the war. As Wilhelm II came to power in 1888, this knife could have been manufactured during a wide period of time, prior to WWI.
    A beautiful example Lance!
    I like it a lot, thanks for posting! But then, I am a sucker for stag grips anyways.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A beautiful example Lance!
    I like it a lot, thanks for posting! But then, I am a sucker for stag grips anyways.
    Ralph.
    Me too.
    This is not military issue but is one of my favorite knives . A early Solingren made bowie. the blade is 7mm thick
    and weighs over a pound. It is razor sharp and I have no doubt that one good, well placed swing could remove
    someones arm.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Default Aesculap-Werke Leupold style Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

This month’s offering is a Leupold style trench knife made by Aesculap-Werke from Tuttlingen, which is a city located in the present German State of Baden-Württemberg. Presently, the company still makes surgical instruments. The blade is 146mm in length and for comparison, here is an additional example on our forum German WWI trench-knife Aesculap-Werke The accompanying advertisement (under the Soldier’s image) is from the mid-1920s and shows a slightly simplified logo.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on images to enlarge.
    That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

That is my favorite style of German trench knife. I like the crossguards on
    this style.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Default My (new) favorite German Trench Knives' Book

Greetings all,

Today, I just received my copy of Christian Méry’s latest book COUTEAUX ET POIGNARDS-BAÏONNETTES DANS L’ARMÉE ALLEMANDE (1914 – 1945) “Knives and dagger-bayonets of the German Army 1914 - 1945.” This book is a significantly updated version of his 2011 work German combat knives: 1914-1945. There is no English language edition planned, but frankly, Méry’s picture centric efforts do not make that an issue (for me at least). Long story short, this book is my new favorite German Trench Knife book and already has a place of honor in that space where most of my “reading” is done;-) You may even see a few of yours truly's knives hidden amongst the gems in this new work. If you were to own only one book on German Trench knives, I’d highly recommend this book to fill that niche. OK, enough gushing, back to hunting trench knives!
    V/r Lance

Double click the image to enlarge the image.

Default Two Modified Austrian Model 1917 Sturmmesser Trench Knives (Zeitler?).

Greetings all,

This month (October) a “two-fer,” two (possibly) Zeitler made Austrian M1917 Sturmmesser Trench Knives, which have been period altered. Both blades measure out equally at 212mm. The one on the viewer’s left has had its handle diagonally cross-checked to make a less slippery grip and the one on the viewer’s right has had its handle/crossguard replaced with “trench art” inspired assemblages.

These style knives had a long service life after World War I and were used by many countries due to the large numbers made (& subsequently captured/turned over as war reparations). Unfortunately, there is little chance in determining when either of these two knives were actually altered (hence the term period), but as both are “Z” marked; I thought they were more visually interesting when exhibited together to show some of the variety of contemporary mods of these knives one may encounter.

I have tossed in some standard (read: unmodified knives) period images for your perusal as well.

Njoy, and until next month!

Lance

Double click on the images to enlarge.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Default A bright finished Bird’s Head unfixable/unmarked Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

I have been quite lucky of late getting some great knives, however, not ones relevant to this thread. Fortunately though, I still have plenty of content left to post here. This month, a completely unmarked and non-fixable bird’s head trench knife, with a 150mm blade. The push-button is decorative, wholly non-functional, and the bird’s head pommel is completely solid (i.e. un-machined/without mounting slot).

Happy Collecting!

V/r Lance

Double click image to enlarge.

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast