Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Article about: Hi guys, My latest trench knife :-) ERN mm and imperial stamped . The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/ Unfortunately the tip is broken ! I

The next are Austro-Hungarian M17 knives, along with Hungarian WW1 war hammers, used by 40th Honvéd Infantry division.
    Note the regimental stamp on one of the M17 , it is IR4, indicating Hoch und Deutschmeister Regiment Vienna.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    P
    Many

Don't mess with the man with a war hammer!

Default F.W. Ortmann Deer’s Hoof/Leg Knife

Greetings All,

This month, another fairly common style of German WWI Knife (& these were used in WWII too). Basically, it’s the lower portion of a deer’s leg, which was dried to preserve it, then a blade (in this case 167mm in length) was added. These deer hoof’s knives like the knicker style of knives were popular with German hunters long before WWI.

This particular knife was made by F.W. Ortmann, which ceased to exist by 1914. They ostensibly made knives, but they imported a lot of weapons/ammunition from Belgium, which they sold under their name/mark and that may be why the company ceased to exist shortly after the start of the war. My point being, they may have just been a retailer of others’ wares versus being an actual blade manufacturer.In the end, these are fairly cheaply constructed knives. The better quality ones have a plate on the hoof’s underside to protect it from damage. Often this plate is engraved with the owner’s initial’s or family’s crest .

Double click to enlarge pictures.

Other manufactures of these knives offered personalization with your rank and name on the scabbard.

“By war to victory!”

Cheers,

Lance

I don't know why but I find these Deer foot hilts highly amusing. I mean where has the foot been? Very German, what Monty Python could have done with this material!

It must be the first of the month! Thanks.

Default A Friedr. Neeff Söhne marked, Private Purchase Leupold Variant German Trench Knife.

Greetings all,

This knife’s manufacturer remains a bit of a mystery in terms of the company’s history. While Friedrich Neeff served as the President of the Solingen Chamber of Commerce and Industry from 1863-1867; I could not find much else about any of his sons and or their business ventures. Clearly, there was a Solingen situated business and this knife was one of their products. Based upon the knife’s generic design, it was made during WWI. The knife’s blade is 142mm in length and possesses no fraktur marks of any kind.

OK then, until next month;-)

Regards,

Lance

Double click images to enlarge.

And below, is an Austrian Soldier with the same styled knife.

I like the style of this one.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

An interesting profile to that blade.

Hi, just a quick info: can this model be related to a producer? The only another similar knife with offcentred blade would be the “Ernst Busch.”. This one has only the quality mark and a ''10''

Many thanks in advance!

Mike
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread   That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread  

Quote by ArkanBuc View Post
    Hi, just a quick info: can this model be related to a producer? The only another similar knife with offcentred blade would be the “Ernst Busch.”. This one has only the quality mark and a ''10''

Many thanks in advance!

Mike
    Greetings Mike,

The EB marked variants you referred to are the only ones of this type I have ever viewed (& only in a book), which possess a manufacture's marking. I would assume the unmarked ones are most likely made by EB too, just not trade marked. Nice knife by the way

V/r Lance

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast