Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Article about: Hi guys, My latest trench knife :-) ERN mm and imperial stamped . The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/ Unfortunately the tip is broken ! I

Hi guys,
    My latest trench knife :-)
    ERN mm and imperial stamped .
    The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/
    Unfortunately the tip is broken !
    I like it anyway. Is it a common one or .....?

Mfg
    Marc

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread
    P
    Many

Quote by unimarc View Post
    Hi guys,
    My latest trench knife :-)
    ERN mm and imperial stamped .
    The complete knife is in fair to good condition, with some rust pitting on the blade :-/
    Unfortunately the tip is broken !
    I like it anyway. Is it a common one or .....?

Mfg
    Marc
    Greetings Marc,

The С.Friedrich Ern, Ern-Rasiermesserfabrik Company made several different variants of Trench Knife starting with the standard “Leupold” model (similar to post #42) and evolved mainly in the crossguard’s/handle’s shape to your posted model. Here’s member Reibert’s example (same style as yours) https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/imper...h-knife-59257/

These particular trench knives may often be found in pristine condition as it would appear many never saw service and were made towards the end of the war. The only model encountered more often than these ERN made variants are the ubiquitous Gottlieb Hammersfahr Solingen Foche variants (post #28) or any number of the Leupold style knives made by many manufactures. Your knife may have very well served in both WWI and WWII.

Thank you, for posting your knife.

Lance

Last edited by MilitariaOne; 05-24-2014 at 06:18 AM.

Thanks a lot for your very detailed answer :-)
    I found this one locally here in Denmark !
    May have laird a bit too much then, I don't now ......!? Mfg
    Marc

Default Another DEMAG Fighting Knife Variant.

Greetings all,

Here’s yet another of the DEMAG made variants. This one possesses a 150mm blade, which would seem to be the normal length found on all DEMAG made knives.

Regards,

Lance

Double click on pictures to enlarge.

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

I like it.
    This is the style I hope to one day add to my display.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I like it.
    This is the style I hope to one day add to my display.
    I know what you mean Greg. It's a neat little knife. Just about everything outside of uber-rare museum pieces come up for sale eventually. My challenge is shortly after I pull the trigger (and spend my cash) on one item... three more desirable pieces show up in quick succession. That is the upside with these WW1 knives, there are still plenty to be had and they don't fetch (mostly) the prices that WW2 TR items do. That said, like everything else prices are rising.

Regards,

Lance
    Last edited by MilitariaOne; 05-26-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Default A smaller Private Purchase Eickhorn variant.

Greetings all,

This week’s knife is a smaller than average private purchased variant from the famous Solingen firm of Eickhorn. The blade measures 145mm (which is not too small), but when compared to other similar faux bayonet styles of trench knifes this example was not made for a plus-sized hand with its tiny grip. There is no mortised slot, nor is there the usual "ornamental" non-functioning press stud. The upside with this example is after the war, it would have easily made itself home on your desk as a letter opener without everyone thinking you had "issues."

Regards,

Lance

That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife ThreadThat WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread

Default Austrian Sturmmesser Model 1917 Photographs

Thought I would share a series of differing shots of Austrian Soldiers with Austrian Sturmmesser Model 1917s.

Njoy,

Lance

?

Default M-17 sturmmesser

Hello

I would like to show you the two principal different models of M-17. The difference is in the size of " handguard" ( sorry but i dont know how to tell in english).
    The Austrian manufacture M-17 have shorter lenght handguart then an Hungarian one. The Hungarian one has also on the handguard embossed coat of arms.
    Sorry but all my collection is based on relic .

Greetings .....Sašo
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread   That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread  

Quote by lokvar View Post
    Hello

I would like to show you the two principal different models of M-17. The difference is in the size of " handguard" ( sorry but i dont know how to tell in english).
    The Austrian manufacture M-17 have shorter lenght handguart then an Hungarian one. The Hungarian one has also on the handguard embossed coat of arms.
    Sorry but all my collection is based on relic .

Greetings .....Sašo

Živjo Sašo,

Thank you for showing your examples! Yes, you have shared an important trait of the differences between the Austrian and Hungarian models. Forum Member VocelkaV has also posted this info here Can I See Your Trench Knives? posts #s 66 & 67. Below is a picture, illustrating the crossguard/handguard differences you addressed, from left to right, Austrian, Hungarian, and Bulgarian. Don’t worry about your English, it is far better than my Slovenian.

I visited the Slovenian Military Mountain School in Bohinjska Bela back in 2010 for military training event and remember the visit quite fondly. Slovenia is quite beautiful and the people were very friendly towards Americans. I hope to return again someday.

Thanks again for sharing your knives!

Regards,

Lance

Double click the picture to enlarge.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture That WWI German & occasional Austrian Trench Knife Thread  
    Last edited by MilitariaOne; 09-25-2020 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Better image to show knife

Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast