Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI M1898 Bayonet

Article about: Hello Friends, This is my first venture into WWI bayonets and I do not know what I really have so will appreciate all information from you. I believe this to be a WWI M1898 Mauser Bayonet bu

Default WWI M1898 Bayonet

Hello Friends,

This is my first venture into WWI bayonets and I do not know what I really have so will appreciate all information from you. I believe this to be a WWI M1898 Mauser Bayonet but I am looking for confirmation or correction. One of my many questions is why this bayonet has a steel scabbard where all the others I have seen have leather with metal ends. The scabbard fits the blade perfectly so it seems to be made for it. I tried getting close up pictures of the markings I found but my camera is not very good at that. The serial numbers do not match, "1502 on blade and "---4" on scabbard. Blade marked "W, K, & C" Solingen. Guard marked "-2 R -" "R 200.". Pommel has small, indistinguishable marking that could be crown & RC. There is a small stamping just below rifle groove on the tang. There are small stampings on each edge of the ricasso. On one spine there is a "Crowned W" over "O5" plus something below that. Opposite spine has indistinguishable stamping. Blade has never been sharpened and the tip is great. No nicks in blade. Wood grips are good except for one with some damage. Please check the pictures out closely and give your opinions.

Thanks,

William

WWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 Bayonet
    WWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 Bayonet
    WWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 BayonetWWI M1898 Bayonet
    Last edited by wpheaton; 06-28-2017 at 12:17 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WWI M1898 Bayonet
    P
    Many

I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to these but what you
    have is a M1898 n/A bayonet. The crowned W / 05 is the acceptance
    mark and the year it was made. (1905) . I'm guessing here but I think
    that the 1502 on the blade is a regimental inventory number and the
    numbers on the cross guard above that are the regimental ID numbers.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

This bayonet was originally issued with a leather scabbard. During WW1, all steel scabbards were produced in a number of different patterns. I believe that the leather scabbards were liable to damage in field conditions.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I'm not real knowledgeable when it comes to these but what you
    have is a M1898 n/A bayonet. The crowned W / 05 is the acceptance
    mark and the year it was made. (1905) . I'm guessing here but I think
    that the 1502 on the blade is a regimental inventory number and the
    numbers on the cross guard above that are the regimental ID numbers.
    Thanks Chopperman, as I research I am finding out more. I am wondering if I should try to clean the bayonet to better see the markings or just leave it as is. Thanks.

I will be heading to the AMA Vintage Motorcycle weekend July 7-9 with my son. We will be riding our 1968 Triumph T120 Bonneville and our 1970 Triumph TR6 Tiger. I love this weekend especially that I have the old bikes to go on. I only live 5 miles from Mid Ohio Race Track.

My wife is from Hudson, WI.

William

Hi William,
    I think if the bayonet was mine, I would probably try to very carefully clean it up.
    It easy to get too carried away.

My old chopper started life as a 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy.
    Hudson is 42 miles straight south of me. My niece and her husband live in Hudson.
    gregM

myself around.

?

William,
    Its hard to tell by the pic's but does this one have a one piece wooden grip and looks like it does not have a flash guard. Is that correct?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Looks like 2 piece to me.
    gregM

myself around.

I'd tend to leave it as it is, anything abrasive would make the pitting more obvious. A bayonet in this condition has a character of it's own. I see someone has used it as a hammer! That may well be period damage. The german police were notorious for using their bayonets as hammers to pin up notices. Perhaps some army nco did the same.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    William,
    Its hard to tell by the pic's but does this one have a one piece wooden grip and looks like it does not have a flash guard. Is that correct?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Two piece wood grip and no flash guard. There is no sign there ever was a flash guard.

Thanks Phil!

William

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I'd tend to leave it as it is, anything abrasive would make the pitting more obvious. A bayonet in this condition has a character of it's own. I see someone has used it as a hammer! That may well be period damage. The german police were notorious for using their bayonets as hammers to pin up notices. Perhaps some army nco did the same.
    I wondered what all those small, round indentations might be from. Only in that one place. Pounding nails makes sense.

Thanks,

William

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast