MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI memorial sign!!!!

Article about: donkihotis7, you have paid a reasonable price for the plaque, I would of paid that...Menden (Sauerland) is part of Westphalia, and as such came under the juristiction of Army Corps VII with

Default WWI memorial sign!!!!

Hello everyone, i was told that this is a memorial sign that Germans were hanging outside their houses, in the memory of their family members who had died in battle during WWI.
    Has anyone seen one like this?
    Do you see any issue of authenticity with the item?
    Is it possible that the wood is that old too?
    Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI memorial sign!!!!   WWI memorial sign!!!!  

Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

Default Re: WWI memorial sign!!!!

I like it and think it is all of period manufacture. I think these were not used outside the house but inside the home.

Very sad to see three brothers all killed.

Cheers, Ade.

i have seen one of this in an old movie, and in this movie this plaqe was in the hallway from the house so that all who lievd there can see this to remember them or something

3 brothers or 2 bros and their father, who knows. Yes indeed very sad Although as an item will display very well in a collection.
    Thanks Ade.

Quote by klinger View Post
    i have seen one of this in an old movie, and in this movie this plaqe was in the hallway from the house so that all who lievd there can see this to remember them or something
    Ade was right then. I was misinformed. thanks klinger.

donkihotis, as already said, house furniture, an excellent piece, 100% period, commemorating brave fellows ! very sad if they are brothers ! (most likely) but this happened a lot during the Great War on all sides. I have checked on the German site Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgrberfrsorge e.V. - Arbeit fr den Frieden on their casualty listings for the missing and fallen, I am unable to trace Franz or Josef, but I found a Hugo Kaiser, same date of death as on plaque, 7.4.1918, he was a Vizefeldwebel (Senior NCO) and is buried at the German war cemetery at Morisel (Somme) France. All of the dead interned at Morisel fell in action during "Operation Micheal" the great German Spring offensive iof April 1918. So I would imagine that this is one of your brothers, a great piece of history !
    Hope that helps,
    Prost ! Steve.

Interesting website, if i could only speak German But i really appreciate your info. Very cool, indeed. I like it very much when i know information for a piece of my collection and these info are very good. WOW

donkihotis7, this piece is worthy of further research, do you know the area of Germany where the plaque originated from ? or any other information ?........
    Prost ! Steve.

Hey Steve, i don't know much details yet but i'll try to find some more Thanks

Steve, seller said that he got it directly from the family and that their house is located at: Menden im Sauerland.
    I have already sent the payment as i really wanted the piece.
    Last edited by don_kihotis7; 01-12-2016 at 11:02 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast