Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWI period German paper currency

Article about: General question for ya. Ran into someone who has some WWI period German paper currency he wants to sell. Nothing in fantastic condition, but not falling to pieces either. My question isn't

Default WWI period German paper currency

General question for ya. Ran into someone who has some WWI period German paper currency he wants to sell. Nothing in fantastic condition, but not falling to pieces either. My question isn't so much about the condition (since I don't have pics yet), my question is how collectible is this type of money? If I bought it I'm probably not going to keep it because I have little interest, but basically I don't want to buy it and not be able to re-sell it because no one collects it. From what I can tell, the currency is marked from 1917 to late 1920's. If I can get some pics I will post them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: WWI period German paper currency

I was under the impression that due to hyperinflation after WWI, German money was pretty much worthless. I've read about a loaf of bread costing billions of marks, Germans using the currency to wallpaper their homes and feed their stoves! Maybe because of that there isn't much left? It could be very collectible!

While collectable, paper money does not sell for very high prices. Just too much of it around.

I have some inflation money.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

It's not worth much, but every collector needs just a little bit.

OK, thanks for the opinions. i'll see if I can get it for cheap, if not i won't bother with it.

I have a fair bit of it, but it is easily found, and very inexpensive. Some of the notes have excellent detail, but my favourites are Weimar period inflation notes. The figures are astounding - instant gazillionaire Thanks to the Deutsche Reichsbahn, I have a lazy 200,000,000 Marks in my drawer! Issued 10. Oktober 1923, and legal for a whole 7 weeks, which should tell you something about the state of the German economy at that time. As with a lot of inflation notes, is only printed on one side. Most of my notes are in well-circulated condition, but these ones appeared to be uncirculated.

Collecting paper currency is like cancer, if you let it get started, it can be the end of you. I started picking up notes from WWI when I stumbled into a shop in Wien in 1972. At one point I had an example of nearly every note issued between 1898 and 1948, there are some of the inflation notes that are priced in the hundreds of dollars, and if I am honest, they are not as interesting as the Imperial notes that are valued in the dollar or less range. One of the interesting things is to see the change in the mood of the German people by the looks of their currency, at the beginning of the war, the notes are colourful and bright, but by 1918, they are gloomy and dark.
    Before spending much on period currency, I would recommend getting a current copy of the Pick catalogue, because when collecting anything, the library is the most important starting place.
    Best
    Gus

Looks like I will either try to get it for dirt cheap, if not, I will pass. Thanks for the info fellas!

Gus is correct re the pre-war or early war notes, some of them were splendid - and BIG. Here's one of my favourites, a 1910 100 Mark, the blue note, check out the some of the Kaisers battleships steaming in the background.

Hey Troy,
    Is the watermark area missing from your note, or is the photo cropped?
    Best
    Gus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast