Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars

Article about: OK. I just got this WWI uniform with the ribbon bar attached, and the hat. I don't doubt its authenticity (or should I??). There are some small moth nips and the hat has wear on the inside w

Default WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars

OK. I just got this WWI uniform with the ribbon bar attached, and the hat. I don't doubt its authenticity (or should I??). There are some small moth nips and the hat has wear on the inside with the brim coming off (how do you fix that anyway??). I think it is a medical officer. I also think the ribbon bars are for: L to R: EK II, 5 Yrs service?, and Hindenburg medal with swords. I am looking for comments/info on this lot... Is this German or Prussian? Is it a true WWI uniform or the 'transition type" uniform between the wars? Any idea as to value of something like this?? I have some WWII stuff, but this is my first WWI purchase! Thanks in advance for your help!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars   WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars  

WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars   WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars  

WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars   WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars  

WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars  

Default Re: WWI Prussian German Medical Officer Uniform + Ribbon Bars

Decorations of the Kingdom of Wrttemberg

Here is a link that will show the various awards of Württemberg which is the Kingdom that awarded the central yellow and black ribbon. It could be one of several awards. It is for bravery or merit. you will be able to see the awards in the above link, and their award criteria.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Thanks Steven! I did check that out and printed it so I can read it later. So, does that mean the person who wore this uniform was from Wurttemberg, or just got the medal from that Kingdom? Was I correct about the other 2 ribbons--EK II, and Hindenberg medal?

pjm
    ?

It's a Prussian model 1910 WW1 era officer's uniform (German but from a Prussian unit). It's rather rare actually. Field grey uniforms are relatively scarce compared to the earlier colored ones and it does appear that the hat and tunic are a matched set.

Medical may not be as popular as combat units but it is actually rarer. Value is hard to say. However, if I saw this at a show, I expect the the cap would range from $350-500 (perhaps tending to the lower given the present conditon) and the tunic around $1800-2200. As an ensemble, the price could easily be $2000-2500 or higher.

The cap can be restored. There are several people around who do excellent work.

There are assorted possibilities as to how the bar could be original to the owner of the tunic. However, the Hindenburg cross is from 1934 and although it's possible that the owner got a Wurttemberg award, it's more likely an added ribbon bar.

It would be easy to find a WW1 era (ie without the Hindenburg cross) ribbon bar to suit the tunic.

WOW! That much?? I would have never thought that! As far as the ribbon bar goes, it does have 2 loops sewn into the tunic that fit the ribbon bar perfectly. So, if it is a 'replacement' bar from a later time period, then the original must have been exactly the same size because of the loops sewn into the tunic. Also, fogive my ignorance, but I thought the Hindenberg cross was from WWI? How can you tell it is from 1934? I have some WWII ribbon bars with some WWI ribbons and the Hindenberg cross ribbon, but I never knew they were issued as late as 1934... Thanks again for the reply (and GREAT news on approx. value!!). Hopefully I can get some more input from other experts in the WWI stuff.

Also, do you have some names/email address/websites of those people you spoke of that do restoration on the hats?? If it is indeed worth that much I will very much consider restoring the hat-depending on the cost of course! :-)

Quote by excalibr View Post
    Also, fogive my ignorance, but I thought the Hindenberg cross was from WWI? How can you tell it is from 1934? I have some WWII ribbon bars with some WWI ribbons and the Hindenberg cross ribbon, but I never knew they were issued as late as 1934...
    This medal or 'Cross of Honor' was instituted as a commemorative medal on July 13, 1934 by Hindenberg. If you see this on a ribbon or medal bar, you know for a fact that it was assembled after that date. This is not a bad thing, as the wave of patriotism that swept Germany in the 1930's led many WWI vets to break out the old medal and ribbon bars and have them updated with the latest 'bling'.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

pjm
    ?

Any ribbon bar with that number of ribbons would fit the loops so it wouldn't be difficult to find one.

The Hindenburg Cross wasn't instituted until 1934. It was essentially a commemorative award created for the 20th anniversary of the outbreak of the war. Everyone who served in WW1 received it - with swords for combat service; without swords for non-combat service; and blackened for next-of-kin of fallen soldiers.

Any WW2 era ribbon bar would have the Hindenburg Cross ribbon if the wearer served 1914-1918.

I do know someone who does cap restoration. I can contact him and see if he is taking on work.

As far as the value, to the right collector under the right circumstances, a nice matching field grey cap and tunic would certainly bring a price within the range quoted. Again, medical is less appealing to some, but to the medical collector, yours is a very desireable set.

Also, if it's named inside an interior pocket (like in the back flaps), the owner could be researched.

Great! Just LMK about the guy and the restoration of the hat. I will probably just leave that ribbon bar on there unless I come across a 3 ribbon WWI period bar. But, I will not get rid of this bar as it COULD be the original bar that is for the person who wore the tunic. I am still looking over the tunic and hat HOPING that I can find a name! Then I could possibly do some research to find out more info! Keeping my fingers crossed that maybe there is a name somewhere. I just got it this afternoon, so I have not had much of a chance to thoroghly look it over!