Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Could you help me determine my great-granduncles rank in the imperial Russian army?

Article about: I just discovered these old photographs. Click on cropped images for high resolution. This first one is from October 15th, 1915 (says on the back). The belt and buttons have an imperial Russ

?

Default Could you help me determine my great-granduncles rank in the imperial Russian army?

I just discovered these old photographs. Click on cropped images for high resolution.

This first one is from October 15th, 1915 (says on the back). The belt and buttons have an imperial Russian eagle on it, while the epaulette has one thick line on it. The color of the epaulette, which I think determines the section he was in, is obviously not visible but its of light color.

Attachment 387645

Attachment 387643

Attachment 387644

The second photograph is damaged but you can see him seated. The person standing may be of lower rank; notice the difference in their cuffs and collar.

Also, notice that in this second photograph my great grand-uncles epaulette has two thin lines ( instead of one thick in 1915 photo) whatever that means. The date for this second photograph is not known.

Attachment 387647

Attachment 387649

Attachment 387648

So what could you tell me based on this info? I'm anxious to find out more.

Default Re: Could you help me determine my great-granduncles rank in the imperial Russian army?

His rank would be ефрейтора or corporal.
    Best
    Gus

?

Default Re: Could you help me determine my great-granduncles rank in the imperial Russian army?

The line on his epaulette is much thicker than the one I found for a corporal. You must be referring to the second photograph in which he is seated. The first photo seems more like фельдфебель, Master Sergeant. I'm I wrong? I found the badges on wiki so I'm not sure.

The one standing in the second photo is a Feldwebel, but I think the one in the first photo only has one line, and the nuber of lines is the factor, if I am not mistaken, size of the line does not have any meaning.
    Best
    Gus

?

When I said it looks thicker, I mean this Imperial Russian Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As you can see, private is one thin line, corporal two thin lines, sergeant three thin lines, but feldwebel one thick line. So it must be that he was a corporal when the seated photograph was taken, and was later raised to Feldwebel by 1915, when the standing photo was taken.

Yes, I see what you are saying, I think you are right.
    Best
    Gus