Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Great-Grandfather's WWI Uniform

Article about: My great-grandfather served in WWI in the Russian military. I have no idea what he did there, but I do have two pictures of him in uniform, so if anybody has any idea what his uniform means,

Sofia
    ?

Default Great-Grandfather's WWI Uniform

My great-grandfather served in WWI in the Russian military. I have no idea what he did there, but I do have two pictures of him in uniform, so if anybody has any idea what his uniform means, I would be very greatful.

All I know about my great-grandfather was that his name was Isaac Kliban, and he was a Jew from Proskurov, now known as Khmelnytskyi. Here are the pictures:

He's the one in the middle.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Great-Grandfather's WWI Uniform

Hey Sofia,

It would be very hard to tell what his uniform exactly 'means'. Its not an out of the ordinary uniform, as these coats were used by many, if not all of the Ukrainean soldiers. Probably the only thing that you would be able to fnd out about your great-grandfather's uniform in these photos is his rank (from the collar, i'm assuming)

Regards,
    Finn

?

The collar patches on the overcoat would only tell you which branch of the service he was in, but because they are in black and white, no determination can be made. The rank is shown on the shoulder boards.

CCMJR

Photo was taken in 1917. At this time the troops have experienced problems with storage and supply soldiers to wear uniforms of different styles. After the February Revolution, the army lifted on pogonyNa photo we see the soldiers, two of whom are dressed in boots and shirts with the windings of the sample 1912 and 1913, and pants. Your grandfather is dressed in boots, but the officer's greatcoat, which he could give a photographer for the beautiful frame. We can therefore assume that your great-grandfather was an ordinary soldier.