Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Great-Grandfather's Uniform

Article about: by Aceton Forget to tell... You mention the blue breeches with red piping, and they seem to be from a different uniform, because standard blue-gray breeches of soldiers shouldn't have piping

Default Help with Great-Grandfather's Uniform

Hi All,

I'm looking for a little assistance in identifying this uniform.

It belonged to my Great-Grandfather Wilhelm Pahl from Bessarabia. Family history is that he was a sergeant-major in a Cossack regiment and served five years in the Stavropol region.

Does anyone have any opinions to offer?

Thanks,

John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Great-Grandfather's Uniform   Help with Great-Grandfather's Uniform  

Help with Great-Grandfather's Uniform  

Default Re: Help with Great-Grandfather's Uniform

PS if it is helpful, he served a five year term around 1893-1898. The trousers are riding breeches in a light blue with red stripes down the side.

Thanks,

John

I know, it's a tough one. 57 views and nothing!

Hello mate
    Its not through being ignorant but I am stumped! I have looked through all my books & online with no luck. You are best to be patient and wait for the right person to see the thread.
    Cheers
    Dan

Hi Dan,

Yeah, it's been 20 years of searching for me. Another year or two isn't going to make any difference.

Thanks for looking!

John

?

This is a tunic of the 45th Dragoons Seversky Regiment of the Caucasian Cavalry Division, dated by the period 1897-1904. The rank is a private.

Quote by Aceton View Post
    This is a tunic of the 45th Dragoons Seversky Regiment of the Caucasian Cavalry Division, dated by the period 1897-1904. The rank is a private.
    WOW! Good work Aceton

nice jacket,....

?

Quote by bikerboyzx6r View Post
    WOW! Good work Aceton
    That's not a problem. Earlier tunics, M1881, didn't have buttons at all - they had inside hooks. In 1897 tunics were slightly changed by adding buttons (in line regiments buttons were "clear", in regiments where the Emperor or Empress were honorary chiefs, buttons had crowns). In 1904 buttons with two-headed eagle replaced old "clear" and "crowned" buttons. So, we can for sure date the tunic by 7-years period.

?

Forget to tell... You mention the blue breeches with red piping, and they seem to be from a different uniform, because standard blue-gray breeches of soldiers shouldn't have piping.
    Just checked my library and found a uniform chart for the M1881 uniforms. Here is the 45th Rgt:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast