Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Help in identifying great grandfather's uniform, please.

Article about: I have a postcard with my great grandfather seated between two men. From what I know, this picture was taken in Serpukhov, Moscow Military district. What I can't determine is his rank and in

Default Help in identifying great grandfather's uniform, please.

I have a postcard with my great grandfather seated between two men. From what I know, this picture was taken in Serpukhov, Moscow Military district. What I can't determine is his rank and in what capacity. Someone once mentioned an NCO in the 5th Howitzer Arillery division. I've attached a couple of pictures (and can provide higher quality versions of any detail). I'm hoping someone can confirm the information and perhaps provide some additional detail. I'd like to learn more. I believe the picture was taken between 1900 and 1905. Your help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Other side:
    Hat:
    Shoulder detail:

Default Re: Help in identifying great grandfather's uniform, please.

If the site will take it in some way, I can upload the 44MB scan of the three men. It appears that it is too large for the site to take.

I could be wrong, but I think the rank is фельдфебель (master sergeant) and the cap is Russian Artillery.

Thanks for the hints thus far. Looking at the wiki link, I can see how the insignia would suggest Master Sergeant. If I play around with the scan enough, I do see a very faint "bent X" (for lack of a better word). I do have a couple of additional questions. I'm gathering that the hat badge is really two parts; the oval badge and another with the crossed cannon with Romanov eagle? Also, what is the purpose of the lanyard around their necks that goes into some sort of leather pocket. The leather pocket doesn't seem to be a pistol holster, I don't see any of them with a revolver handle protruding. I also notice that the swords have different tassels; the soldier on the left has a dark one, my gr. grandfather (seated) has a light-colored one which is the same as the remaining soldier. The chains hanging off the right breast of each of them are interesting. The standing men have a different little fobs. The soldier on the right has a round one with what looks like a tiny key. The seated man, has a rounded square one. I don't know if there is significance that or what they are for. I also notice none of them are wearing belt buckles with the Romanov eagle and crossed cannon - perhaps they wore the hat badge instead? I'm trying to translate the other side of the postcard. It looks like "ШМНДТЪ" loosely translated to Schmidt (using Google translating). I wonder if it was at "Shmidt's Photography Studio" or something. Pardon my questions, I'm just curious and pretty ignorant of this military stuff.

I can't find a single Russian military uniform reference online. Try this link, maybe this dealer can help identify the uniform: Collect Russia Collect Russia Soviet Russian

SEE HERE: Ðóññêèé êîëëåêöèîíåð. Âîåííûé Àíòèêâàðèàò. (Ðàáîòàåò íà Invision Power Board)

They have an extensive Tsarist section.

You will need to post in Russian.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Trio on photo are the servicemen with the 2d Artillery Reserve Brigade which has been stationed in Serpukhov from 1885 through 1910. Your Great Grandfather's rank is sergeant-major (feldfebel), his companions are bombardiers. The photo is pre1907, based on their uniform pattern of 1881 - no buttons, double breasted tunic. True, the hat badge is two parts - cap insignia and imperial coat of arms with crossed cannons. The lanyard was a uniform atribute with Russian cavalry and artillery units. Believe the holsters with them are real, pistols are not seen though. The swords are of 1881 Dragoon pattern. I don't think the tassels are different since it's just a matter of lighting on photo. The chains are of pocket-watches. Plain belt buckle with no eagle was a standard that time. Note the spurs on their boots which was also part of cavalry/artillery uniform. Can't see any traces of legend on their shoulderboards.

Mehti - thank you for the additional information. It will be helpful. The dates correspond with my great grandfather's immigration to the U.S. (~1906). Except for the postcard, his pocket watch is the only relic from his home that we have. Again, thank you for the additional information. Hopefully, I'll be able to reach back across the pond to find more information some day.