Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help Identifying Uniform

Article about: Can anyone please identify either of these uniforms? These are my Great grandfather's brothers from Russia. Thank you

codorey
    ?

Default Help Identifying Uniform

Can anyone please identify either of these uniforms? These are my Great grandfather's brothers from Russia. Thank youHelp Identifying UniformHelp Identifying Uniform

?

Photo above does not look like any military uniform..

On the photo below there is a tzarist army cossack cavalryman pictured (rank is private)..

I second that opinion. First one appears to be a civilian. Not any regulation uniform, merely military in style, with no insignia of any kind. Wearing those kind of riding breeches makes one think this fellow has some pretentions to status. Appears to be a social class or two above the cavalry soldier.

Quote by mconrad View Post
    I second that opinion. First one appears to be a civilian. Not any regulation uniform, merely military in style, with no insignia of any kind. Wearing those kind of riding breeches makes one think this fellow has some pretentions to status. Appears to be a social class or two above the cavalry soldier.
    I looks to me that in the first pice he is dressed for "motoring" plus I think it might be the same chap in both pics?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    I looks to me that in the first pice he is dressed for "motoring" plus I think it might be the same chap in both pics?

Regards

Mark
    I think you are right about it being the same person. I like the idea about "motoring." Recall that this was the time that the following (American) quote came from: " I never thought I would be so rich as to own an automobile, or so poor as not to afford a servant."

First photo is not unlike many chauffeur photos from the turn of the century. NH