Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Imperial Russian Navy Cap Tally

Article about: I recently acquired a German per-WW1 era German Navy grouping at an estate auction in Wisconsin. It includes a named and 1909 dated cap, photos, a pendant with sailor's portrait, a white sai

pjm
    ?

Default Imperial Russian Navy Cap Tally

I recently acquired a German per-WW1 era German Navy grouping at an estate auction in Wisconsin. It includes a named and 1909 dated cap, photos, a pendant with sailor's portrait, a white sailor's shirt, an additional German cap band along with an Imperial Russian Navy sailor's cap band for the Curiser Diana.

The Diana was involved in a battle with the Japanese Imperial Fleet in 1905, the Battle of the Yellow Sea. It was damaged and managed to reach Indochina where it was interned until the end of that conflict.

In WW1 it did nothing of particular merit.

The riddle of why the Russian cap band was among a grouping of German Navy items was easily solved by google.

The Diana was scrapped in Bremen in 1922. No doubt, the owner of the cap and shirt or perhaps a relative worked at the shipyard when the Diana was cut up, or had something to do with her transport to Bremen.

Perhaps the Diana cap band was found on the ship and taken as a souvenir.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Russian Navy Cap Tally  

?

Default Re: Imperial Russian Navy Cap Tally

A very nice one! I'am allways lloking for that kind of Russian items! Very interesting history with that tally too!
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

pjm
    ?

Default Re: Imperial Russian Navy Cap Tally

Here's a photo of the entire grouping as found and a brief entry on the ship http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian...er_Diana_(1899)

Also, a photo of the famous Aurora, another of the three Pallada class protected cruisers as the Diana.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imperial Russian Navy Cap Tally   Imperial Russian Navy Cap Tally